Killing Pitbulls

aussielover

I wasn't aware until quite recently that in QLD pet pitties were seized and PTS just for being pitbulls :cry::o :o

I don't understand how that happened :(

It is just so horrible that could happen a perfectly harmless pet. What was the basis used to justify this? They MAY turn aggressive???

I can see how banning of importing certain breeds/ new owners buying certain breeds (NOT that i agree with it) came about, but to kill innocent existing pets :hitself::flame::bolt:

it happened coz a few idiots raised their dogs wrong and the media seized it and went nuts with publicising ANY bad stories involving so-called pitties (most probably werent even purebred) and no body stood up for the breed (at least not enough people did anyway) RSPCA jumped on the bandwagon and whala! innocent pets murdered.... its been going on for quite a few years now... 1000's of dogs murdered due to politicians kneejerk reaction...

it is a load of BS when you look at all the reports of dog attack (pitbull attacks) there all cross breeds and you can tell that just by lookin at the dog

i cant see how it is fair that the RSPCA can just sit by and watch their ment to be there to protect animals no matter the animal or breed i just think that the RSPCA should have a close look at them selves. and then rethink the direction that they are heading in

the 4 breeds were banned from import. Then the Murdoch newspapers ran continuous articles where pitbulls (the media pitbull, a dog which could have been anything) performed many and varied feats, all of them demonstrating the savagery of the breed. Eventually, the public believed pitbulls were land sharks with 2000lb jaw pressure, totally unsafe in every way.

The RSPCA - and particularly Hugh Wirth, the at the time president, enforced the belief that pitbulls were a problem - naming them as "that wretched breed"and "killing machines"

In Q in 2002 bans were enacted by the state gov. The public was pleased, because the dogs were obviously too nasty to live, according to the RSCPA and the press.

Some councils said the dogs could remain, as long as they were declared, muzzled in public, kept in a dog proof enclosure away from boundary fences. Other councils said they could not be kept, but must be euthanased - or leave the council area.

Council ACOs roamed the streets finding middle sized short haired boofy dogs asleep in their front yards, declaring them "pitbulls" and carting them off in their thousands to a new home in a black plastic bag on the tip.

Most of those dogs had never done anything wrong, but because someone decreed they were pitbulls they were goners.

The CCCQ accommodated the government and agreed to run "training" for ACOs in identifying pitbulls. This was despite the fact that the CCCQ could hardly identify a pitbull themselves, but the money was handy, and who gave a stuff; it wasn't a CCCQ breed. To be fair, many members (who didn't own pitbulls) did not agree with this action by the CCCQ and a couple of the judges running the training quit because the whole thing made them sick

Figures available suggest that approximately 10,000 dogs were euthanased in Q, as "pitbulls". This is about right; maybe there were more.

EDBA assisted a few owners in various ways - by approaching councils, by making the problem public, and by helping owners take councils to court to prove their dogs were not pitbulls, and the identifying tool was a crock of. Which it was. Since then, councils are still nabbing dogs, but not as openly, and owners who do not believe their dogs are pitbulls have more chance of being heard because councils do not want to lose hundreds of thousands of dollars in court cases they do not win --- over ONE dog each time.

That's the short version. If you really want to know, use the search engine on this forum to look for more information around 2002.

You wont find much about the EDBA - who never publicised what it did. Why give the councils notice of who they were helping and how they were going to get the dog back? And the EDBA wasn't about glory, it was about saving dogs. Half the committee didn't have a pitbull, and a couple had never met a pitbull, but they knew a wrong law when they saw one :o

The media is now acknowledging that reports were biased - and they were - every dog which attacked was a pitbull, even if it was white 14cms tall and fluffy :laugh:

It's a sick and disgusting law enacted by a sick and corrupt government, which has caused untold grief to many families, and unwarranted deaths for many nice dogs. And the bite stats have risen, not fallen.

Edited by Jed

It wasn't and Isn't about glory for anyone Jed, It's always about helping the dog In dire need! From the many who still continue to help out It In any way they can :thumbsup:

That's what Jed said. :thumbsup:

No, It wasn't read It again :laugh:

And the EDBA wasn't about glory, it was about saving dogs.

Where does Jed say it was about glory for anyone? :shrug: All she says is it wasn't about glory for the EDBA.

Never mind, I took It as a dig at "others" In light of what happened here recently although.......... I may be wrong and apologize If I am :rofl:

In light of recent posts I thought the same RnB. I hope I'm wrong.

Thanks Jed for your explanation, I didn't realise the CCCQ was so heavily involved at the start.

And to the OP, it is absolute hell to have your dog seized and threatened with destruction. I know this first hand.

If it wasn't for the preceding court challenges and the help I received from people on this forum my dog wouldn't be snoozing happily beside me right now. :rofl:

Yes, it was very stressful Aussie lover, my partner was pregnant and we were in the midlle of moving so it couldn't have come at a worse time.

They had her for a month while I lodged freedom of information forms, tracked down the breeder and geared up for the challenge.

Fortunately they saw the writing on the wall and allowed me to pick her up. Not before trying to make me relocate her out of their area though.

BSL is bad enough but when you couple it with animal control officers on power trips it really gets crazy.

I had friends in other areas of the council and the word of what was happening spread quickly.

I know the situation didn't do much for the opinions of the ACO's in the eyes of their colleagues within the council.

On the day that I picked my dog up I rang the A/H council number (it had to be done after hours) to arrange it and the lady I got knew all about my situation and was very supportive.

She gave me her opinion of the ACO's involved and told me of how others had viewed their actions. Not favourably I can tell you.

Their little power trip had turned around and bit them on the ar$e!

They have a stupid law to enforce but one has to question the mentality of someone (who should have the best interests of dogs at heart) when they would want to try to destroy a dog that is good natured, well cared for, microchipped, desexed and obviously well loved. Oh yeah, and most importantly not a Pitbull!

I hope the clowns at the Toowoomba City Council get to read this. I will never forget and will continue to remind people of your incompetence and callousness. :)

Ok, end of rant, time for some happy thoughts. :thumbsup:

I said

And the EDBA wasn't about glory, it was about saving dogs.

I can find nowhere that I said it was about glory. The EDBA did their work quietly and efficiently. And legally. Without any fanfare or credit being given.

Others saved their own dogs by whatever means they could.

I don't know whether you misunderstood my post (Poodlefan certainly didn't) and there is no reason why you should have. Nor do I have any idea why you should

People who were more interested in power and glory and being on a committee were not the people the EDBA wanted and they were not the people the dogs needed.

Seems you might be wanting to have a go at me, RottnBullies. That's ok, I don't care much, and if you want to have a go at me for telling the truth, be my guest. :D

My absolute pleasure.

The councils, and those mongrel acos put people through hell. Some dogs were saved, some dogs were not, some dogs were released from the pound and sent elsewhere, the owners and the dogs had a hard time.

It's still going on, but the assistance is not there but there are not as many dogs in trouble

And it should be about the dogs. None of this is their fault, they should not have to suffer.

Our council legislation requires Pitbull's to be registered as dangerous dogs, wear a muzzle in public places and have a specific enclosure to keep them in at home. I had a visit from the rangers once, as someone dobbed me in for not having my dog muzzled at a park, but when showing my pedigree papers indentifying my dog as an Amstaff, the ranger apologised for the inconvenience and left with no dramas. Had I not been able to identify my dog's breed, if he was a Pitbull or cross breed of Pitbull resemblence, I would have suffered some problems, but what I don't understand considering Pitbull type dogs as the legislation calls them fall under restricted and dangerous dog categories in most legislation, why people continue to buy dogs of Pitbull type that they can't identify when doing so can cause so many dramas for the owner and the dog :rofl:

Edited by Donegal

but what I don't understand considering Pitbull type dogs as the legislation calls them fall under restricted and dangerous dog categories in most legislation, why people continue to buy dogs of Pitbull type that they can't identify when doing so can cause so many dramas for the owner and the dog :)

Don't people have the right to own whatever breed they choose? it's the law that causes all the dramas and mainly to law obiding citizens and family pets.

but what I don't understand considering Pitbull type dogs as the legislation calls them fall under restricted and dangerous dog categories in most legislation, why people continue to buy dogs of Pitbull type that they can't identify when doing so can cause so many dramas for the owner and the dog :)

Don't people have the right to own whatever breed they choose? it's the law that causes all the dramas and mainly to law obiding citizens and family pets.

I don't agree with the legislation but it's like saying that the stretch of road I am on should be 80kmph not 60kmph so it's my right to do 80 and shouldn't get booked. I love Pitbulls but I would never own one whilst these laws exist where I could be subject to loosing my dog or my dog being subject to harsh living conditions which led me to buying an Amstaff which most people think is a Pitbull anyway, but it's a legal one. To me, it doesn't make sense to put yourself and your dog in a vulnerable position owning restricted breeds and knowing they are legislated against when you can buy an Amstaff and not have to worry about it or whinge about it when getting caught with a restricted breed.

I don't see that owning restricted breeds or cross breeds that bare similarities to restricted breeds that can't be indentified properly on the basis that we should have the right to own them does anything positive to fix the legislation for the better and just leaves yourself and dog open to potential heartache. It was such a huge relief to me when my dog was suspected as an undeclared Pitbull to produce his papers which dtermines his breed as an Amstaff and the ranger walked away. I can so imagine the devistation I would feel if the ranger had of wanted to seize my dog.

I don't agree with the legislation but it's like saying that the stretch of road I am on should be 80kmph not 60kmph so it's my right to do 80 and shouldn't get booked. I love Pitbulls but I would never own one whilst these laws exist where I could be subject to loosing my dog or my dog being subject to harsh living conditions which led me to buying an Amstaff which most people think is a Pitbull anyway, but it's a legal one. To me, it doesn't make sense to put yourself and your dog in a vulnerable position owning restricted breeds and knowing they are legislated against when you can buy an Amstaff and not have to worry about it or whinge about it when getting caught with a restricted breed.

Road speed limits are there for safe driving conditions, that is based on research, facts and road fatalities. BSL is here because of none of them.

No-one in Australia is an expert on the ID of pitbulls, the whole process as played out by the GCCC v's Chivers has shown us that ACO's and councils have been doing the wrong thing for years, ID'ing and killing family pets based on a false checklist..

In saying that I do agree with what you're saying, if you want to own a pitbull go somewhere where there aren't any restrictions, get a papered amstaff if that floats you're boat and you think you have a pitbull (not aimed at you donegal, but many have done so) It's not worth risking the life of a dog.

But as long as people aren't doing anything about BSL it they are condoning the governments actions.

Donegal

what I don't understand considering Pitbull type dogs as the legislation calls them fall under restricted and dangerous dog categories in most legislation, why people continue to buy dogs of Pitbull type that they can't identify when doing so can cause so many dramas for the owner and the dog

An dog with papers has his "passport". Not everyone wants a purebred dog.

A lot of people buy x bred dogs not intending to buy a pitbull, and probably not buying a pitbull. The dog grows up, is seen by an ACO and despite never having done anything wrong, and despite not being a pitbull, is mislabelled by the ACO and euthanised.

Yep, there are still people breeding and people buying pitbulls - as there as people avoiding every law ever made about everything.

However, a lot of people are caused grief when there should be no grief.

Fact is, there is no way to identify a pitbull, and laws which targetted bad dogs instead of breeds would be more effective, and easier to police.

Donegal

what I don't understand considering Pitbull type dogs as the legislation calls them fall under restricted and dangerous dog categories in most legislation, why people continue to buy dogs of Pitbull type that they can't identify when doing so can cause so many dramas for the owner and the dog

An dog with papers has his "passport". Not everyone wants a purebred dog.

A lot of people buy x bred dogs not intending to buy a pitbull, and probably not buying a pitbull. The dog grows up, is seen by an ACO and despite never having done anything wrong, and despite not being a pitbull, is mislabelled by the ACO and euthanised.

Yep, there are still people breeding and people buying pitbulls - as there as people avoiding every law ever made about everything.

However, a lot of people are caused grief when there should be no grief.

Fact is, there is no way to identify a pitbull, and laws which targetted bad dogs instead of breeds would be more effective, and easier to police.

I know the situation isn't a good one and is based upon complete stupidity I think, but regardless, if it's law we need to be careful. I have a friend who recently purchased an APBT in our council and has registered her as a Staffy X and although I tried hard to convince her to buy a registered Amstaff, she thinks that having a Staffy X council reg will protect the dog from being declared. We can keep APBT's under our council regs, but they must be declared as dangerous dogs with restrictions in place which to me isn't worth the drama of owning, hiding and lying about what what your dog is to avoid prosecution. My friend actually wanted a Pitbull and wasn't a situation where she bought a puppy of unknown heritage that grew up to have Pitbull resemblence as happened to some like in QLD. I am talking about what my friend has done which in the circumstances as I told her, I think she's mad to do what she did???.

Seems you might be wanting to have a go at me, RottnBullies. That's ok, I don't care much, and if you want to have a go at me for telling the truth, be my guest. :laugh:

My absolute pleasure.

I wasn't have a go at you, but I read between your lines and know what and who you were aiming those comments at, And I'm going to leave it at that! :p

The sooner everyone fighting the same fight stop squabbling and finger pointing and tit for tat at each other the sooner things will change for the better, yes It It ALL for the DOGS at the end of the day, and we need to keep remembering this

Cheers