Some Times You Can't Help But Worry

BJ.

So I have to be at the vets tomorrow morning early (well later this morning now), but instead of being snuggled up in bed I am awake fretting. My oldie Barney is going in to have at least two teeth removed as he has developed an awful abscess. The poor little bugger looks like a 4 kilo Bull Terrier at the moment as his face is all swollen. He had all his blood work done today and everything is all normal, not bad for a dog who turned 16 in February. While he is under they are also removing a growth from his face that although benign has ulcerated and keeps bleeding. His eyes are a little cloudy and sometimes he misses things with his hearing but he has no other problems, he still comes for a good 45 minute walk everyday and has no trouble keeping up with the others, still I worry. He can be a right little bossy turd at times, snappy bad tempered, he can't stay clean for more than 5 minutes and chasing the cats is his favourite past time but geez I will miss the little bugger if something happens to him.

Edited by BJ.

Our old boy went under for desexing at 11 years old. Not as old as your boy but still pretty old. He had his teeth cleaned/scaled too. All his blood work and urine tests were good and he was fine, until he stsrted picking at his stitches :( He had to be a bucket head for a while but he was ok.

Ruff had several teeth out about six months ago when he was 14 and a half. I was so worried about such an old dog going under an anaesthetic but when I went to pick him up he met me with a wagging tail and a happy grin. It was obvious he felt so much better when he was no longer in pain from one decayed and one broken tooth. He was so much brighter and happier afterwards. Barney must be feeling terrible if the abscess has caused his face to swell up. Having the teeth out will definitely be the best thing you can do for him.

Yes your right 4Kelpies his little face must have been painful. It came up on Saturday night and I thought at first that it was an allergic reaction. He was still eating his dry food. His last dental was last year in April. Well I dropped him off this morning, he had great fun telling off a dog that kept barking at all the other patients. He is the only one of mine that thinks the vets are great fun. I have to pick him up this afternoon at 4.15.

All went well thank you. He had two teeth removed and the lump on his head. He was pretty feisty when I went to pick him up, he tried to bite me when the vet passed him to me so I knew he was feeling OK. :( He was much better after he had a sleep and something to eat. Barney has never been an attractive dog but with two shaved legs and half his head shaved with Frankenstein stitches he is even less so, poor little man. He is on antibiotics and goes back in 10 days to get the stitches out and to have his mouth checked.

Glad Barney is home and felt well enough to let you know he didn't like his new look :) . I am sure he really is very pleased you went ahead with his op especially as eating will be much easier for him now. Gentle hugs and pats for Barney.