"deserted" Beaches

lanabanana

Just wondering if anybody can help recommend a nice quiet beach?

Being from NZ, the beaches are never crowded and some are even empty so we are used to going down to the beach where there are not many people around and taking our dogs for a play without having to worry about other dogs etc etc.

Anyway, we havent taken Barney to the beach since we got here 18 months ago, and Pippi has never been, so we thought itmight be nice to go somewhere this weekend for the day.

I was talking to someone a few months ago who said there were quite a few really quiet beaches down past Wollongong where we would almost be alone but I am not sure which beaches these are....does anyone know?

It would be perfect if it was just us and the dogs, but thats probably not realistic so any reasonably quiet beaches would be fantastic.

We live in Sydney but we don't mind travelling for 2 or 3 hours to get there.

Thanks in advance good people.

Hi

Was just goint to suggest Wollongong as well. Some beaches are just too deserted for me and the chi x's aren't guard dog material.

Port Kembla beach - at one end where the surf club is it is no dogs. However there is a large area of coastal land reaching down the beach which you can access from streets nearby. If you drive (4WD) or walk over the coast land you can get to the beach further down by certain pathways. Too deserted for me going over the land to get to the beach by myself.

If you are not into bush bashing - This beach stretches down the coast and then becomes Perkins Beach . You can see the Wollongong council website for location of this beach. THis is designated dog leash free. You can walk on a fenced track to get to this beach from nearby streets.

There is a designated area but the beach goes one way to Port Kembla and the other way to the lake mouth at Warilla.

Plenty of space for dogs.

It amazes me being new to the area that I can go to beaches in Wollongong and the beach is deserted. Corrimal/ bellambi is the most popular as there is a fair stretch of beach to walk on. So more dogs too.

But after training on a SAt arvo I walk to North Beach - right next to the Stadium and the lighthouse at the centre of town. And there is hardly anyone there. A few dogs but lots of room on the beach and the sandhills to the golf course to avoid meeting if you don't want to.

All this stuff is on the website but of them Perkins and Port, north beach at times are the best. Not too far to come and you could go for a walk and eat somewhere along the cement path (called the blue mile) that winds thru the coast at the city area. Dogs allowed on lead.

Wolly is a great place and can't believe how quiet it is.

Edited by skip

No matter how deserted the place you can always run into another dog walker! I walk my dogs down a track that is a bit away from where I live. Yesterday I had a guy with two unleashed dogs who rushed up to mine. The guy was really apologetic and said the last few times he walked there he hadn't seen anyone so he thought it was safe to let his off lead.

OT, but one of his dogs was a little chi who kept trying to sniff Wylies backside. I have never seen a shiba try and curl his tail down between his legs to protect his bits before :laugh: (for those that dont know, their tails are held up over their backs in a tight curl that doesn't straighten out much)