Dylan's Tongue Is Cut

As long as the bleeding stops in a reasonable time, you don't need to panic.

Mouths heal very well, and the flow of blood from the wound does help to wash any bacteria out from the wound. Apart from monitoring, if it's stopped bleeding you don't need to DO anything except maybe feed some soft food to limit disturbing the healing bit.

I have had a case where a dog had a scuffle with another dog and ended up having a tooth go straight through their tongue. That was quite messy and did require an urgent surgery (it was a drug detector dog to boot) but once the bleeding was stopped everything was fine. Shredded and torn tongues with profuse bleeding are another story.

Thanks all for your comments. From what I can see I've snipped a circular piece across the top of his tongue where he had it stuck in the hole and it's separated a little from the rest - sort of across the top of the tip of his tongue and then down over the tip. Hard to explain. The clippers are an unusual style so fortunately they didn't cut a large peice.

They look like this

nail_clippers.jpg

And I just accidentally squeezed it while he was licking it (I had peanut butter on my fingers which got on the clippers....... long stoopid story). They are very easy to squeeze and they only make a click sound when you actually cut something off. They made a horrible click sound that I can still hear because they snipped off his tongue skin! eeeeeeuuurrrggghhh!

He actually has been back over to the clippers and quite happily tried to lick it since then so he seems to have no problem with it. Probably still smells of peanut butter.

Edited by spottychick

I've been getting him to lick manuka honey (UMF 15+) off my fingers - he loves that LOL

This morning I finally got another look at it and it seems to be healing way fast although there is still a flap that's loose so I will be careful what he eats and plays with till I see that healing up.

So sorry to have panicked a bit. It just looked and sounded horrible and the vet lady didn't help matters :laugh:

Anyway - it's all good and I can get back to training the little genius. :rofl: