Camping With Dogs In Bad Weather

Jetty

I am going camping this weekend for two night. We are going up north which is about a 4 hour drive from home to a camping site on the beach where dogs are permitted. I was definitly planning to take my boy but now I am having second thoughts because according to the weather reports it is going to rain all weekend. We will be taking his crate, a long lead, pigs ears, toys. However he has my parent's to look after him if he doesn't come. What would you do?

I don't want him to disturb other campers which I am not 100% whether he would if he was bored or not as we have never taken him camping with us before. Has anyone taken there dogs camping while it was raining?

Yep I have, take plenty of towels, where will you be when it rains, can he be with you then too, if we hike in the raint he dogs have their coats on, a towel down when we get back and they normally potter around camp int eh rain or curl up in their beds under a tarp

But if your going near the beach he'd get wet anyway, wouldn't he!!

He'd love to be with you, it doesn't worry him that its raining... (only problem is a wet dog smell travelling for an extended time in the car).

Does he have a raincoat!

I don't think you'll have a problem with him being bored, if you are doing stuff, and it will all be out doors, he will enjoy your company.

Yep I have, take plenty of towels, where will you be when it rains, can he be with you then too, if we hike in the raint he dogs have their coats on, a towel down when we get back and they normally potter around camp int eh rain or curl up in their beds under a tarp

Thanks for the tip!

But if your going near the beach he'd get wet anyway, wouldn't he!!

He'd love to be with you, it doesn't worry him that its raining... (only problem is a wet dog smell travelling for an extended time in the car).

Does he have a raincoat!

I don't think you'll have a problem with him being bored, if you are doing stuff, and it will all be out doors, he will enjoy your company.

I guess so about him being wet :love:

If it is raining we will probably just be at the camp site a lot more then actually taking walks on the beach and everything. He doesn't have any coat so I guess he will just have to get wet! He loves water so that wasn't the issue it was more him getting bored and possibly barking or something like that that could disturb others.

I've done it a few times.

He will have fun regardless the weather. It's the humans who will get bored at camping when it's raining though.

Oh, maybe bring a jacket for him in case he gets cold. Charlie likes his jacket at night.

All the new sights and sounds will be interesting enough. Even if it only stops raining for 5 mins you can have a run down the beach or a good sniff along a pathway. Just be careful of snakes as they like sanddunes.

If you take some of his toys from home you can play tug under cover or a chewy like a pigs ear can keep them busy. If you were home he would just be sitting inside so no different to sitting in the lounge or sitting in a tent.

It has been pelting down rain here all week and I am trying to pack today for camping. We're off to Bathurst (4hrs away) for a 2day agility trial.

Not keen of the whole running in rain bit and I'm sure my chihuahua will need her floaties. But off we go. We can compare camping stories after the weekend.

But I know my dogs don't care as long as I'm there :p

Guest belgian.blue
Thank you. Good to know others have done it without an issue!

I've camped with Ivy and she had a ball! Two nights and she was on lead the entire time. Though I bought one of those things that you screw into the ground and attach the lead to that so a human doesn't have to keep hold of the leash and you can have your boy out with you and no in the crate all the time.

Though if you're camping on sand it may not work?

We do heaps of camping with the dogs, both at trials & at the beach. They are well exercised at both venues & just tend to lay around when we don't have them out doing things.

It has been pelting down rain here all week and I am trying to pack today for camping. We're off to Bathurst (4hrs away) for a 2day agility trial.

us too :p hopefully it will just be a few showers tomorrow. I don't mind the camping in the rain, but always prefer not to run in it.