Keeping Old Dogs Regular

dwynwen

We've been having some problems with our old boy. We know that, realistically, he won't be with us much longer as his rear end weakness is beginning to impact on his quality of life.

But in the meantime - because his exercise level has reduced - so has his frequency of bowel motions. He's always been a dog that needed a good walk to get him going.

Extra veges, cooked pumpkin doesn't really seem to help. The vet suggested psyllium which I've started today.

Has anyone had any experience with it for keeping aged dogs "going" ? How much do you feed?

Any other suggestions?

(he's 39kg)

He's on previcox and tramal (which very helpfully (not) has the side effect of constipation).

He's under the care of a vet and an animal physio.

My 10yr old rotti used to be on tramal, gabapentin/neurontin & metacam - great combination (not). That was when he was 7, he had the same issue and as well as that the medication was starting to wear off and his partial paralysis was not getting better. I found a great animal chiropractor. Once he was fully aligned and all pinched nerves released I weaned him off medication - he became regular again and was able to squat to toilet without the pinched nerves causing him shooting pain and he was back to puppy state. That was 3 years ago, he turned 10 last week. He has been on no medication, no supplements. I tried acupuncture, supplements, homeopathy, massage, physio, swimming centres etc before the chiro - nothing worked and it makes sense now that unless the pain is removed by releasing pinched nerves first, none of the other things will work....well that was the case for me. Muscle spasm to protect the pinched nerves just got flared up by the other things I tried. Good luck!