Like To Share Your Recipes For Treats?

sheena

Thought I might start a thread for anyone wanting to share recipes for homebaked training treats. I wasn't sure if this is the right thread or should be under Health/Nutrition.

I have a few, but I baked this one up yesterday & Bindi goes nuts for it...mind you, like a lots of home baking, it stinks the house out for a while :mad

Whisk together 4 eggs, shells & all (I did these in the blender),1 teaspoon crushed garlic or good sprinkling powdered garlic, half cup parmeson cheese & two tins of sardines,(with their liquid). I used sardines in tomato sauce. Or you could use a couple of tins of salmon or some other tinned fish. Mix these together really well, then add 2 cups of wholemeal plain flour, or buckwheat flour if your dog is intolerant to gluten. Mixture should be sticky, but firm (not runny), add more flour if needs be. Spread this into a large slice tray, or small baking tray lined with baking paper. Spread it thinly with the back of a wet spoon.

Bake at 180 for about 35 minutes, then let it cool & cut into little bits. Freezes well. :)

I just get small chunks of red meat or liver, and bake it slowly in the oven on a low heat until dried out. You can do this with dog roll too but have to bake it very slowly. I try to make them dry on the edges so they're nice to handle, but mushy in the middle so they're tasty. Pup loves them, and they're very healthy.

At Sheena and Ruralpig's request.

Mackerel biscuits

Two cans of Woolies homebrand mackerel

Four cups of wholemeal plain flour

As much water to mix in the flour.

Blend the mackerel then mix thoroughly in thoroughly through the flour, adding as much water as needed to make a thick paste.

Grease a tray and spread thinly across. Cook at 200 C for around an hour so the biscuits become hardened (this will depend on the oven and how thick the spread is). Might be more time, might be less.

This should make around three or four batches. When cooked I break up the biscuits by hand. I also use sardines or tuna. It doesn't matter if you use self-raising flour or plain flour but it won't rise. :thumbsup:

My two love these. Princess Mini is a fussy eater and while Grumpy will try anything once to see if it's edible, he's also very stubborn, and sometimes (not all ...) the biscuits are the only thing that will get him up in the morning.

This recipe off the internet is something my big dogs absolutely loves. My maltese is not food oriented but she loves eating some too.

Homemade Dog Treat Recipe

Bacon Bits for Dogs

6 slices cooked bacon, crumbled

4 eggs, well beaten

1/8 cup bacon fat

1 cup water

1/2 cup non-fat dry milk powder

2 cup graham flour

2 cup wheat germ

1/2 cup cornmeal

Mix ingredients with a strong spoon; drop heaping tablespoonfuls onto a greased baking sheet. Bake in a 350 oven for 15 minutes. Turn off oven and leave cookies on baking sheet in the oven overnight to dry out. Yield: about 4 dozen dog cookies.

Hope your dog appreciates this too :D

This recipe off the internet is something my big dogs absolutely loves. My maltese is not food oriented but she loves eating some too.

Homemade Dog Treat Recipe

Bacon Bits for Dogs

6 slices cooked bacon, crumbled

4 eggs, well beaten

1/8 cup bacon fat

1 cup water

1/2 cup non-fat dry milk powder

2 cup graham flour

2 cup wheat germ

1/2 cup cornmeal

Mix ingredients with a strong spoon; drop heaping tablespoonfuls onto a greased baking sheet. Bake in a 350 oven for 15 minutes. Turn off oven and leave cookies on baking sheet in the oven overnight to dry out. Yield: about 4 dozen dog cookies.

Hope your dog appreciates this too :laugh:

WOW ...that sounds like a good one & it wouldn't stink the house out like the sardine or liver ones. You could probably use that crumbled bacon you get from delis & of course, you would use the whole egg...shells & all. Can't wait to try it. thanks

I have many recipes for doggie treats this is my kids current fav,

No-Bake Peanut Butter Carob Bites taken from Dogs in Canada mag

3 cups old-fashioned or quick-cooking oats

1/4 cup ground flaxseed or sesame seeds (optional) I use flaxseed

1/4 cup carob powder

1/2 cup all natural peanut butter

1/2 cup milk (I use powder milk made up)

2-4 tbsp honey or maple syrup - I have tried both and found honey held it together better

In a large bowl, stir together the oats, seeds and carob powder. Combine th epeanut butterm, milk and honey in a small saucepan set over medium-high heat and cook, stirring until melted and combined - dont worry about it being smooth

Combine wet with dry ingredients and mix until well blended.

Place in the fridge until it's cool enought to handle. shape into walnut sized balls or make larer or smaller to suit the size of your dog

Keep in the fridge for about a week if they last that long