New Pup-getting Desexed

Hi I wrote in a few weeks ago saying we had a new pup Abby, 5 1/2 months old and was asking the best age to have her desexed and what it might cost.

Well today she has gone in for her operation, and while she is in she is also being Microchiped, and having her vaccinations.

the cost of this is.

Operation between $250 and $280 for desexing depending on weight

Microchiping $55

Vaccination $69

After op pain killers $30

and an Elizabethan collar $13 so all up around $450 at this clinic in SA so we are quite happy with that.

I thought I would let you know in case anyone else was wondering what the cost might be.

Lablove

Hi I wrote in a few weeks ago saying we had a new pup Abby, 5 1/2 months old and was asking the best age to have her desexed and what it might cost.

Well today she has gone in for her operation, and while she is in she is also being Microchiped, and having her vaccinations.

the cost of this is.

Operation between $250 and $280 for desexing depending on weight

Microchiping $55

Vaccination $69

After op pain killers $30

and an Elizabethan collar $13 so all up around $450 at this clinic in SA so we are quite happy with that.

I thought I would let you know in case anyone else was wondering what the cost might be.

Lablove

Why is she being vaccinated at 5.5 months? :grimace:. I'd never recommend this be combined with a surgical procedure that requires a full immune system for healing.

Hi poodlefan we are getting her vaccs as well because the lady we got her from said she had only had her first shots and didn't have any more done, so vet thought it best that she have her next lot done, c3 only.

one can only hope its the right thing, its hard to know what to believe any more, if she gets bad we will know what the problem is then, thanks for you input.

lablove

Hi poodlefan we are getting her vaccs as well because the lady we got her from said she had only had her first shots and didn't have any more done, so vet thought it best that she have her next lot done, c3 only.

one can only hope its the right thing, its hard to know what to believe any more, if she gets bad we will know what the problem is then, thanks for you input.

lablove

Yeesh - so for the first 5.5 months of her life she's had only partial immunity. :grimace:

I'd still not have done it today. Can you stop it happening? She'd be better of being done when she has her stitches out.

I'd still not have done it today. Can you stop it happening? She'd be better of being done when she has her stitches out.

I agree with PF. It loads the system more than is necessary, vaccinating on top of a surgical procedure.

What do you mean by "first shots"

Do you mean in the plural? If so, how many of the first shotS did she have? You might find she has the immunity required to see her through.

A titre test will tell you if she has immunity.

But regardless, I'd put a halt on having the vaccination until your dog has recovered from the surgery.

At work we sometimes vaccinate animals that are in for routine surgery.

Are you suggesting that because something is routine it is minor? I don't consider a spay "minor" surgery, even though it is performed regularly.

Another here that wouldn't vaccinate a dog which isn't in 100% healthy condition - which is exactly what is said on the info that comes with the vaccine.

Never ceases to amaze me that vets scream they can't do this or that with vaccinations or other drugs because it's not what the vaccine/drug is licensed/approved for yet are happy to ignore this particular licensing/approval requirement when it comes to vaccinating dogs after MAJOR surgery.

Excuse me erny, but i was merely pointing out the fact that some vets consider this okay to do. I am not for or against it.

Sorry - but it was a genuine question. I don't know your position at work (for all I know you could be a Vet), but saying "routine" ..... do your Vets where you work do the vaccinations at same time as surgery because it is routine, regardless of how minor or major the surgery is?

Thank you all for your responses, Abby came through her opperation really well, but I must say Oscar isnt to pleased at the look of her with the E collar on, we will have to keep them seperated for a good few weeks, as they like to play zoomies around the yard and I dont want him bowling her over until she is well over it.

Erny I think it was just her 8 weekly shots that she had originally, the girl we got her off seemed very vague as to what she had had. Abby was also given a good bill of health from the vet, so that was a relief.

The final cost was only $406 all up.

lablove

Thank you all for your responses, Abby came through her opperation really well, but I must say Oscar isnt to pleased at the look of her with the E collar on, we will have to keep them seperated for a good few weeks, as they like to play zoomies around the yard and I dont want him bowling her over until she is well over it.

Erny I think it was just her 8 weekly shots that she had originally, the girl we got her off seemed very vague as to what she had had. Abby was also given a good bill of health from the vet, so that was a relief.

lablove

Have fun with the separation... our girl's stitches come out tomorrow and we are doing a big cheer! :laugh: Our dogs hate being separated and we even had to lock the gate as a certain little dog managed to work out how to open the latch to get out and play with her brother :eek: Was she trying to lick her stitches at the vet? We didn't use the e collar as Ava was not interested in her stitches at all, so that was a little bit less stress for her.

lablove

I'm sorry - but I'm still not understanding. You mean she had only the first vaccination out of the series of 3, at 8 weeks of age?

Regardless, I presume your Vet went ahead and vaccinated, so done deal now. Glad the op went ok :laugh:.

We can't wait for that day wuffles Abby is a handfulll at the moment wanting to run and jump around she's driving us :confused: at the moment trying to keep her calm and it's only day 3, I wonder if you can get anything to keep them calm? I Think I'll ask our son as he does bush flower essences, maybe he can make something up for her.

lablove

Yep, our little one woke up the day after her surgery going "WOOHOO! Time for running and jumping and playing!" :laugh: The vet gave us the ok to take her for a 15 minute on leash walk each day which I think took the edge off a little bit. She was also given bones, chew toys and treat toys to keep her occupied. I did some training with her each day (stationery heeling, stays, tricks) and she was in a confined space (our pergola) when we were out which meant she couldn't do much running around anyway. Even though she got out and did big zoomies with our older dog one day, her stitches have been fine :confused:

For reference our desexing which included pain relief, IV fluids and follow-up appointments, was $320, plus we paid $90 for pre-anaesthetic bloods (this is optional). The ACT tends to be pretty expensive.

I'm another who will not vaccinate and desex at the same time. It is just too much for their immune systems. It is especially important in cats as it can trigger all sorts of nasty illnesses (dormant cat flu, FIP, etc). I like to leave at LEAST a week between 'stress events'. :confused: