Muzzles For Dogs

Staranais

I'll be muzzle shopping for my malinois girl this summer since I'll be taking her bush with me into areas where 1080 has been dropped. She's not at huge risk since she is under excellent verbal control & stays in my sight at all times when she's not working, and I carry an emetic, but I think a muzzle will give us an extra level of protection if I can persuade her to accept one, since 1080 is so damn toxic and at times we will likely be several days away from veterinary assistance.

Does anyone here muzzle their dogs? If so, which muzzle do you use, and do you like it?

Anything I get her needs to be comfortable, and have really, really good ventilation since she'll be running for hours in the hot sun. Cheap would be an added bonus!

Edited by Staranais

I use a plastic basket muzzle .. but the Italian made one . I have tried another sort....looked very similar,..but didn't have a leather strap,and it was awful..too tight on the cheekbones..and odd shape.

My old Italian one has been used by quite a few of our dogs.. bashed, scraped.... and is still fine I have had it about 6 years. Hamlet used to wear it constantly when out in the bush ... panting is no problem ...

Make sure you fit it first :thumbsup:

I do train for SAR with her, but this trip is just for fun. I'll be heading off tramping several times between end of exams and start of summer school, and there's no point leaving the pup behind. She loves the great outdoors as much as I do, and the exercise does her good.

Of course, any poor people that get roped into coming with me on my travels will be forced to get "lost" several times a day behind various bushes, so the crazy malinois can find them. :thumbsup:

Persephone, do you know the brand name of your Italian muzzle?

Edited by Staranais

I'll be muzzle shopping for my malinois girl this summer since I'll be taking her bush with me into areas where 1080 has been dropped. She's not at huge risk since she is under excellent verbal control & stays in my sight at all times when she's not working, and I carry an emetic, but I think a muzzle will give us an extra level of protection if I can persuade her to accept one, since 1080 is so damn toxic and at times we will likely be several days away from veterinary assistance.

Does anyone here muzzle their dogs? If so, which muzzle do you use, and do you like it?

Anything I get her needs to be comfortable, and have really, really good ventilation since she'll be running for hours in the hot sun. Cheap would be an added bonus!

The Jafco plastic muzzle (made in the USA) is the best I have used to prevent poison ingestion as the ventilation holes are round and the tongue cannot pertrude as happens with the basket muzzles or any jaw restricting front opening models. I have run GSD's with the Jafco over 10 mile stints with no respitory restrictions and should be able to find them on the net. :thumbsup:

Lol .... guarding your shoes?

Oh Staranais - NZ is so beautiful (although that's not to say Australian Landscape can't compare). And I envy you this bush walking trek you are going on. Wish I could be there and come with you with my boy.

You might not though, :):laugh: .

Edited by Erny

More like guarding the lunch which was right beside the shoes, I think...

You'd be welcome of course Erny, as would Mr M - so long as you don't mind several days hard slog through the bush to get there! :laugh:

Toolz, you're spot on - it's in the Tararuas.

Edited by Staranais

WOW beautiful area. Im not jealous - much....

Staranais I would love to hear how the muzzle works out for you. I am have been thinking about getting one for my GSD for the same reasons as you. We go out bush a bit, and she spends quite an amount of time with me and the horses. While we tend to avoid the 1080 areas you never know how far one may be carried.

Being black she gets hugely hot in summer so I would need one with excellent ventilation, and this seems to fit the bill.

Edited by laeral

It's worked really well so far Laeral - we did about 12 hours of walking all up over the 2 days, including a smallish mountain, and she didn't have a problem with ventilation at all despite the warm & muggy weather. She was totally OK with wearing it after I spent a day getting her used to it. I liked it so much I think it will be part of her regular bush wear now, even in areas with (supposedly) no 1080.

ETA - the Jafco muzzles from K9Pro also looked really good & well ventilated, but would have taken a wee while to get here, so that's why I went with the plastic basket one.

Edited by Staranais

Thanks Staranais. I will have a look at both sites.

I am going camping this weekend and have decided not to take the girl as I was worried about 1080. Im not sure if they have put it down in the area we are going into. A shame as she would love it. Now I just need something to repel snakes

ETA just clicked on Persephones link, it was for K9pro as well. I thought is was a different site :laugh: good price on them

Edited by laeral