Retrieving & Field Training Talk

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Sorry Blackjaq, didnt look at the 'NSW'. I will find out. There is some training days in canberra if you are not too far over the border.

Introduction to Retrieving Classes will be held at Tuggeranong Dog Training Club (TDTC), Cnr Rowland Rees and Athllon Drive, Tuggeranong, from 19 January 2013 for 4 weeks, commencing 9 am and is open to all recognised Gundog breeds.

Cost $50.00 for members of TDTC and $70.00 for non members.

TO ENROL CALL LESLI ON 0402 235 008

Classes will cover all elements required for the Retrieving Ability Test for Gundogs (RATG) (for more information http://www.ankc.org.au/Rules.aspx).

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Blackjaq, didnt look at the 'NSW'. I will find out. There is some training days in canberra if you are not too far over the border.

Introduction to Retrieving Classes will be held at Tuggeranong Dog Training Club (TDTC), Cnr Rowland Rees and Athllon Drive, Tuggeranong, from 19 January 2013 for 4 weeks, commencing 9 am and is open to all recognised Gundog breeds.

Cost $50.00 for members of TDTC and $70.00 for non members.

TO ENROL CALL LESLI ON 0402 235 008

Classes will cover all elements required for the Retrieving Ability Test for Gundogs (RATG) (for more information http://www.ankc.org.au/Rules.aspx).

Thanks! Does that mean the course goes for 4 weeks? Or is it day long courses each day for 4 weeks?

Edited by BlackJaq

A couple of days off over Christmas and Miss Em was FERAL last night :eek: Was cooking up a storm for Mr TSD's birthday so just snuck downstairs whilst everything was in the oven to do some drills. Worked on left and right backs - they were SO much better and I think her understanding has improved. However, definitely more work required on distance and in water. Then did stopping and casting to the back pile as I had plans to run that drill in water today.

So...made my excuses to the in-laws who are staying for a few days and had a lovely time out training. Started with stopping and casting to the back pile over water that she could run through. Easy peasy although I did need to straighten up her stops. Then moved to swimming depth and did it all again. No problem, although because I need to stop and cast quickly in water at this learning stage she wasn't straight on the stop and turned left instead of right. Ran the drill again after a break - this time when I stopped her she pre-empted the cast back so I stopped her again before casting back. Kept to the 1:4 stop rule on each drill and mixed up where I put in the stop.

Decided to bring out the Bumper Boy. The third servo needs replacing so am running on 3 bumpers at the moment. Set it up for a nice water retrieve through a bit of cover - no problem picking that up so ran the same retrieve again but as a double. Picked up the across water mark fine and then the in-water memory mark that had floated into the reeds really well. Still think she needs a lot of marking work though - she's a thinker and gets herself out of trouble - very deceptive if you don't know what you're looking for. Moved the Bumper Boy and ran another in-water mark. The entry was through very heavy reeds and there was a clear path either side of them that she wanted to take so I worked on that. Ran the same retrieve again and she took a much better line. Ran a land mark which confused her a bit - it was angled back and she couldn't see it land so she pulled up a bit short. She was still extremely hyperactive even after all that so I did some short water retrieves through heavy reeds to reinforce the anti-cheating training.

Heading home I decided to stop at another training haunt where I lost a bumper about 6 weeks ago - at the time some tourists told me they thought it had landed in a tree (I was using the Bumper Boy) so every time we have a big wind I drop by and send Em in to have a hunt for it. It's a steep slope - about 80 degrees - down to where I train and today I just couldn't be bothered sliding down and struggling up it. So I lined Em up as a blind and sent her from the tourist lookout. No problem for a gundog! One handle to get her in the area, she disappeared into the long grass and within about 10 seconds she reappeared WITH THE BUMPER :cheer: I had a grin from ear to ear and the elderly ladies watching on were absolutely delighted too - it's a very pretty lookout with a view that attracts lots of tourists but I don't think they expected to see that! The bumpers aren't overly expensive but a pain to get from the USA in terms of postage. Clever girl has finally fallen asleep on my feet :D

Just a light training session tonight at the oval.

Started with left and right backs. So, so much better! I really mixed it up and even sent her right back when she was sitting crookedly to the left - just to test her understanding - and she nailed it. Very pleased.

After a break we moved on to 3 leg lining blind using the whole oval. I had planned to send her to the back pile, then send her again but stop and cast right and then pick up the rest. However, as she was running to the back pile for the first retrieve she got sucked in by the black dummy on the left and started to veer off. Must have picked up a sniff on the light breeze. Stopped her and cast back, which she took. As she had been sucked in by the left pile I then sent her to the right pile, followed by the back pile before getting her to pick up the dummy on the left. She did all that very well and was much better at lining up at heel - she's quite sure she doesn't need me at all sometimes :laugh:

It was getting a bit warm so I had her using her brain more than her body after another rest. Started with a sit stay behind a "hide". No problems - reward. Sit-stay plus throwing dummies so she could hear them fall. No problems - reward. Sit-stay plus yelling "hey, hey, hey". I saw her shadow shuffle the slightest bit so I gave her a non-reward marker and set her up again. She was so excited and seemed to realise her mistake. Sit-stay plus yelling "hey, hey, hey". No problems - reward. Sit-stay plus fired cap gun (it's loud!) No problems - reward. Sit-stay plus yelling "hey, hey, hey" plus throw dummy plus fire cap gun. Not a muscle moved. Returned and rewarded again. Walked away and whistled her to come to heel and sent her on an easy sighted blind. Oh and Ziggy "yelling" in frustration 2 metres away was a nice distraction :D

Edited by The Spotted Devil

We are enjoying ourselves way too much to call this training :D

As I had Mr TSD to assist we worked on marking drills. Firstly we did an X marking drill with 6 dummies a good distance down the oval. First pick up (angle back left) was not the best line but the rest were great. Em ran through old ground and ran the short marks so much better than previously.

Then we worked on the double as previously. Both thrown to the left and walking to the right in between. Ran it as two singles first. Probably the marks were a bit close for my liking and she had a good sticky beak at the memory mark on the way back. No swapping though and much improved on the memory mark.

Another break followed by a session in the hide. Sit-stay in the hide. Reward. Sit-stay in the hide plus Mr TSD yelling "hey, hey, hey!" and, as I suspected it was too much for her :laugh: Mr TSD was laughing so hard at the look on her face as she poked her head out of the hide. Non reward marker - she was bouncing out of her skin - and I set her up again. Wasn't going to fool her this time though - yelling, throwing dummies, firing the cap gun but she didn't budge. Whistled her in, rewarded with an easy mark and then sent her for a sighted blind.

Well, that's it. Our final training session for at least a month :cry: Off to the USA tomorrow to work on my PhD. Has to be done, though, so will try to catch up with the agility and ESS people I met last time I was in Ohio.

I really wanted to take the dogs out for water training this afternoon but a few things went pear shaped at the last minute (think the bank cancelling my "compromised" debit card :eek: ) and Mr TSD quietly suggested we do some drills at the oval instead.

Started with walking singles. One long, one long, one short. I think the first one was angled back and I saw her hesitate very sightly which makes me think she didn't trust herself. Marked the next two spot on. Made sure Mr TSD used a black dummy for the short mark as I wanted to see if she was marking the fall or spying it on the grass as she ran. Much improved so very pleased.

Mr TSD did some flat work with Zig for agility and then we got Em out again to work on the double (both marks being thrown to the right). Ran it as 2 singles first and her marking was spot on. Ran it as a double and, whilst she had a stickybeak at the memory mark once she'd picked up the second dummy, she didn't veer off course at all. Picked up the memory mark with much more confidence. The marks were all a good length and I was getting a bit antsy about finishing packing so just let the dogs have a good gallop. Thank goodness for Zig's great recall as I had to call him off a rabbit that ran straight in his path :eek: I'd been concentrating on keeping Em away from the forrest that borders the oval as if SHE had seen the bunny I'd still be out calling her :laugh:

Happy training everyone :thumbsup:

Sounds like you're having a real blast with your training TSD :thumbsup:

Everything is starting to click for both of us so it's a really exciting time. Plus it helps that our weather has been very mild and thus the dogs are jumping out of their respective skins! Unlike the stinking hot days you poor sandgropers have been copping :(

Yes, I have really been enjoying the detail in your posts! They are quite helpful actually!

Thanks BlackJaq! It's a nice way to keep a training diary - I've tried other types but I enjoy the interactive nature of DOL. Em is the type of dog who has 2 speeds - asleep or RUN - so training is the best way to keep her occupied. Poor Mr TSD will have his hands full. Again :o

• 2 weeks later...

So news is from home that the dogs and Mr TSD are doing well. I had a full day off today so I drove from Dayton to Columbus for a road trip with some of my OSU friends to West Virginia.

Put "Cabela's" and "Clearance" in the same sentence and I am easily pleased :D

Will upload a pic of my friend's lovely young Brittany when I have a chance.

Glad to hear you are having a good time TSD.

I actually got out and did some retrieving training today. It may have been neglected for a while (I have range of excuses - some good, some not.) Going to have to get back in the habit of training regularly.

Was glad to see that they hadn't forgotten anything. It even seems that Dyson has finally figured out the marking business but I clearly need to do a lot of work on building distance with Milly. I don't often get someone to throw for me so was thinking that increasing the distance using blinds might be the best way to go??? How does everyone else do it?

I actually got out and did some retrieving training today. It may have been neglected for a while (I have range of excuses - some good, some not.) Going to have to get back in the habit of training regularly.

Was glad to see that they hadn't forgotten anything. It even seems that Dyson has finally figured out the marking business but I clearly need to do a lot of work on building distance with Milly. I don't often get someone to throw for me so was thinking that increasing the distance using blinds might be the best way to go??? How does everyone else do it?

Hey RB, you could always teach them to wait, leave them in a sit, walk out throw the dummies, walk back to them then send them, by then they should b really excited! You can also do doubles like this.

Hey blackjaq, here is some info on a training day in NSW!

WGC Training Day

Cooranbong

10 March 2013

The Working Gundog Club Inc. is holding an information and training day on Sunday, March 10 for anyone interested or curious about retrieving based on the activities carried out at Retrieving Trials for Gundogs (RT) and also Retrieving Ability Tests for Gundogs (RATG). A flyer for the event has been circulated amongst interested groups of people and is reproduced below.

For organisational and catering purposes, we have asked people to register their interest in attending by booking in with the club secretary, Mary Law. An email to Mary at [email protected] requesting a booking form and directions will result in the form being emailed in reply which can then be filled out on-line and returned to Mary.

Last year, just under 50 people and their doggies booked in and the feedback via email from almost every attendee showed it to be a very interesting and socially enjoyable day.

WGC Inc. Retrieving Information & Training Day

Got a Gundog?

Give Retrieving a Go!

When: Sunday 10 March 2013

Where: COORANBONG NSW

(Only 75 mins north on F3 from Wahroonga)

Address: 38A Marshall St, Cooranbong. NSW 2265

What: A full program of activities including:

o Practical demonstrations

o Theory of training for retrieving

o Opportunities to practise with your own dog

o Groups formed to suit your level

Cost: $10 per dog: to be collected on the day

Catering: BBQ lunch/soft drinks available at reasonable cost

Bring: a chair to sit on, your dog (and a lead to restrain it) and enjoy a day out with the experienced and friendly members of the Working Gundog Club Inc.

Bookings: For further information & for catering purposes, please book in before Friday March 1 2013 by contacting:

Mary Law (Secretary) Tel: (02) 4973 5329

Email: [email protected]

SCHEDULE

An Introduction to Retrieving

Theory and Practical

SESSION 1 – MARKED RETRIEVES

Pre-requisites:

➢ Heel

➢ Recall

1. Appropriate use of praise and reward

2. Fetch - Hold - Give

3. Fetch on long lead

4. Exposure to terrain

5. Demonstration - a puppy retrieve

6. Demonstration - Single Mark for Novice RATG & RTs

7. Demonstration – Open RATG exercises

8. Group Practice at appropriate levels – land and water retrieves

BREAK FOR LUNCH

SESSION 2 – CONTROL

[ The teaching and maintaining of control in the field based on proven positive methods of praise and reward ]

9. Why control?

10. Basic Whistle Drill

Sit / Stay/ Come / Stop on Recall

11. Basic casting drills

12. Basic lining drills

13. Demonstration – Retrieving an unsighted bird

Put "Cabela's" and "Clearance" in the same sentence and I am easily pleased :D

JEALOUS MUCH!!! eek1.gifrofl1.gif

It's quite a crazy place! I've got a lot of photos of stuffed animals. Somewhat creepy. Didn't buy a thing for Em but it's a great time for clothes shopping as the stores have to pay tax on their stock at the end of January.

7cd1e72a64a116e7c84b06d0148494b5.jpg

This is dear old Rolex - very likely in his final months. Cataracts and arthritis but he's still happy and bright with meds to help him through. Nothing wrong with his hearing either - yelled at me this morning for not letting him out as soon as I got up :laugh:

f1d14e2aca1fa64f32d78301f79644f8.jpg

His young sidekick, Roxie - I thought RV might particularly enjoy these pics. She is full of hunt and endless energy at 9 months old. Her breeder is thinking of having a few litters from her (they live down the road). I've been encouraging her owner to train her up for a hunt test :)

"Where's that barn kitty got to?"

fb10d8c2d37efe44db96c8d1d7a07c0c.jpg

"Ah hah! There he is!" (Followed by a swift swipe from the disgusted black kitty)

963b566483a6f7beb8ad7a0bf9c8603c.jpg

Hey RB, you could always teach them to wait, leave them in a sit, walk out throw the dummies, walk back to them then send them, by then they should b really excited! You can also do doubles like this.

Yes - this! Not blinds RB - confidence building marks. You don't even have to walk back to her each time - you can just send her.

What a brilliant idea :)

*thinks ... thinks...* I watched TSD do this with Em... :doh: !!! :dunce:

Having read up on the rules for RATG the distance for novice is about 70m...my little madams going well beyond this anyway lol

What a brilliant idea :)

*thinks ... thinks...* I watched TSD do this with Em... :doh: !!! :dunce:

Having read up on the rules for RATG the distance for novice is about 70m...my little madams going well beyond this anyway lol

Yes what tsd said, this is where you can start doing some handling, "over"