Minimum Age To Breed A Dog

Leema

Had an interesting conversation with someone the other day, and they were telling me different state bodies have different minimum ages for the breeding of a dog (male).

Curious, I tried to find what it is in SA, and couldn't find anything. I assumed it would be in the code of ethics and, indeed, this is where the age of a bitch is specified... But not a dog.

Is there a minimum age in your state and in what documentation is it stated?

None in NSW. Don't know about the other states.

Breeds that have to be hip scored cannot have that done until 12 months so that restricts those breeds to a minimum of 12 months but other than that there is no reason for younger males to not be used as soon as they are capable. The old breeders used to recommend using males for the first time around 8-10 months if possible and it did result in much more confident stud dogs. The tendency to wait until they are older seems to lead to problem stud dogs that need stud masters or even AIs to achieve a mating.

Our breed, Border Collies had a 2 year minimum (recommended by the bred clubs) for many years for both sexes, until we had our CL DNA test developed. This was the only way to avoid breeding from affected dogs as affected dogs showed symptoms by 2 years. Once the DNA test was developed this suggested restriction was removed.

look up "Adequate Maturity"

DOGSNSW have a list I assume DOGSSA have the same

it depends on what class the breed falls into Toy breeds have a different requirement to Giant breeds and so on,

and also some breeds have manditory health testing before being allowed at stud.

No minimum age for males in SA.

Phoned last week & asked this question as my 5 month old Ricard was having a blast trying to hump my 2 girls in season.

The girls were good naturedly skipping away & evading him which he thought was a great game.

Keeping him away now as the poor little guy may be in trouble if he managed to tie :laugh:

Fertility can kick in as young as 7 or 8 months in toy breeds, not sure in larger breeds.