Infected Nail?

laeral

My girl has been licking her toe on her right paw on and off all day.

On close inspection with a torch and a very patient dog, I have found a red spot right up along side her nail. It almost looks like it is inflamed where the nail grows out of the toe. There is some pus coming out from beside the nail.

I cant see any cuts or grass seeds, in fact I couldnt see anything until recently.

Is there anything I could put on it for the infection that wouldnt hurt if she licked it off? Obviously I will take her to the vet tomorrow if it is still looking infected or gets worse, but thought I would check if there is something I could put on it in the meantime.

You could bathe it in warm salty water, dry it off and just lightly bandage it to stop the dog licking it. The vets would be a good idea as if it is an infected nail bed they often need to remove the nail and treat with antibiotics. The reason for this is that all the tissue is very close to the bone and oestomylitis is often a complication. The proper name is paranychea (sp)

I think a vet check is probably a good idea. A nail bed infection (paronychia) can be quite painful and if it's allowed to progress can start to cause other problems like bone infection as has been mentioned. It can result from any kind of trauma to the base of the nail, or secondary to skin infections - a reasonably common cause is getting the nail caught and pulled enough to injure the toe / nail but not actually detach it from the skin. If there is pus, it may well require some antibiotics.

:laugh: Wow thanks for the replies. I am glad I asked as I didnt think it would be to serious. I have never heard of a nail bed infection before.

We had an echidna embedded in the back yard the day before yesterday. Before I realised it was there she has tried to dig it out. Maybe something got in then.

Time to make an appointment with the vet.