Hotspots

I finally tried your calendula tea on my dog and it did help a bit but it dyed him bright yellow :laugh:. So beware of using it on a white dog or white markings.

I prefer my Borders to be black/white not black /yellow.

Gosh! I've never known this to occur before. I don't have a white dog but he has got a white patch on his chest and even a full body rinse hasn't turned that yellow. I've used it on my own skin as well, without any discolouration issues. Anyone else have this experience? It will be handy for me to know so that I can inform people.

How much of the tea to how much water did you use, Dancinbcs? And what brand, if you don't mind me asking?

I used Blooms brand and put about 3 rounded teaspoons in a teapot with about 500mls of water. Once cooled, I used it to spray on the itchy spots and it turned the white hair instantly bright yellow, but the colour did fade a bit as it dried out to a dull yellow. The itchiest area was right down his white chest and front legs, so it was not a good look at all. It didn't stain the skin, just the hair.

Oh, I tried it on me as well, and it does reduce itchiness and doesn't stain human skin.

I used Blooms brand and put about 3 rounded teaspoons in a teapot with about 500mls of water. Once cooled, I used it to spray on the itchy spots and it turned the white hair instantly bright yellow, but the colour did fade a bit as it dried out to a dull yellow. The itchiest area was right down his white chest and front legs, so it was not a good look at all. It didn't stain the skin, just the hair.

Oh, I tried it on me as well, and it does reduce itchiness and doesn't stain human skin.

I wonder if there's something more in that brand that creates the potential for "bright yellow" staining. If I posted you some up from here (that I use), would you be willing to test it for me and tell me if there was any staining?

I wonder if there's something more in that brand that creates the potential for "bright yellow" staining. If I posted you some up from here (that I use), would you be willing to test it for me and tell me if there was any staining?

Yeah, sure. Will pm you.

I am almost 100% certain that the hotspots he has have nothing to do with food at present, he has eaten this diet for awhile now and has not had as many hotspots as he does now which makes me think it has to do with the very hot, humid weather we have been having.

Would you say the arrival of the hotspots has coincided with the arrival of the pool maybe?

Edited by Golden Rules

I am almost 100% certain that the hotspots he has have nothing to do with food at present, he has eaten this diet for awhile now and has not had as many hotspots as he does now which makes me think it has to do with the very hot, humid weather we have been having.

Would you say the arrival of the hotspots has coincided with the arrival of the pool maybe?

Not really because he had his own pool before and still got hotspots. They all came out after his last immunotherapy jab ( like a day and a half later) the dermatologist feels it could be a reaction to the shot - they are all on his neck as well so it very well could be.

Not really because he had his own pool before and still got hotspots. They all came out after his last immunotherapy jab ( like a day and a half later) the dermatologist feels it could be a reaction to the shot - they are all on his neck as well so it very well could be.

Hmmm, all on the neck around the injection does sound suspect for being a reaction to the immuno :laugh: But something else to consider: his "pool" was most likely a clam shell or similar, yes? So no chemicals / salt... that could make a difference. Chlorine is quite harsh on the skin and salt, whilst it can be good, might be abrasive on an open wound... so even if it's not causing it, it may contribute?

Hope they clear up soon!

my dog is eating a diet of raw meat, ( roo, goat and lamb) he is allergic to beef, chicken , wheat, soy, rice - etc. He also gets sweet potato, pumpkin or butternut, pear, banana. This is all he can eat, anything else causes a reaction. I am almost 100% certain that the hotspots he has have nothing to do with food at present, he has eaten this diet for awhile now and has not had as many hotspots as he does now which makes me think it has to do with the very hot, humid weather we have been having.

Tried homeopathy - did nothing for my dog.

How long did you "try homoeopathy"? And was it classical homoeopathy? What was exactly done?

my dog is eating a diet of raw meat, ( roo, goat and lamb) he is allergic to beef, chicken , wheat, soy, rice - etc. He also gets sweet potato, pumpkin or butternut, pear, banana. This is all he can eat, anything else causes a reaction. I am almost 100% certain that the hotspots he has have nothing to do with food at present, he has eaten this diet for awhile now and has not had as many hotspots as he does now which makes me think it has to do with the very hot, humid weather we have been having.

Tried homeopathy - did nothing for my dog.

How long did you "try homoeopathy"? And was it classical homoeopathy? What was exactly done?

Tried a couple of homeopaths in Perth, tried changing kibbles for his diet, adding oils ( which we still do) and he was on quite a few remedies but my dog has sever allergies, really really bad and even a vet I know who is all for homeopathy said to me that with bad allergies homeopathic meds dont usually work for dogs with severe allergies.

Hmmm, all on the neck around the injection does sound suspect for being a reaction to the immuno :( But something else to consider: his "pool" was most likely a clam shell or similar, yes? So no chemicals / salt... that could make a difference. Chlorine is quite harsh on the skin and salt, whilst it can be good, might be abrasive on an open wound... so even if it's not causing it, it may contribute?

Hope they clear up soon!

I thought if that but funny enough that are where he is not getting wet?? Its a real weird situation, I have gotten them to dry up and they are shrinking so I am happy

Tried a couple of homeopaths in Perth, tried changing kibbles for his diet, adding oils ( which we still do) and he was on quite a few remedies but my dog has sever allergies, really really bad and even a vet I know who is all for homeopathy said to me that with bad allergies homeopathic meds dont usually work for dogs with severe allergies.

Uh, ok. Not my experience but whatever! :shrug:

Do you happen to use a metal brush (I think they are called "slicker brush")?

Hotspots are caused by a bacterial infection and in the somewhat moist climate on the skin/below the fur and the bacterial multiply massively. When they then get the tiniest little injury at another spot (by a metal brush, insect bite or similar) this bacterial infection will cause another hotspot.

Just a thought. :shrug: