Itchy Dog

piper

Piper is coming up to 10 and has never been an itchy dog. There has been no change in her diet or anything else that I can think of.

Yesterday I felt they were all all little itchy so bathed, blow dried, groomed in my usual shampoo and applied flea treatment (only use as needed - about once a year), Jazz and Jessi were 90% better from this. Piper seems to be getting worse. This morning I gave them all a capstar thinking maybe the spot on hadn't kicked in yet. Jazz and Jessi are now fine. There is no difference with Piper. She is almost contantly biting or scratching at herself - in particular around her shoulders and the top of her tail. She has some redness on the inside of her back legs yet does not seem to be too fussed about chewing/scratching there. When she scratches near her front legs she is taking clumps of hair out but the skin that I can see does not look too red or irritated and there is no rash or anything that I can see. She is also getting quite stressed and panting fairly heavily so she must be fairly uncomfortable.

If she is not better tomorrow it will be off to the vet (typical dogs - has to be my first day back at work after 2 weeks leave, couldn't have happened a week ago. LOL) but I am wondering if there is anything I can do to keep her comfortable or ease her discomfort tonight.

I feel for you all with allergy dogs now. It is not something I have ever had to deal with and she woke me several times last night scratching vigorously. It must be awful to live with them like this on a regular basis for you and the dog.