Flea

dore

HI

I just bought my 1st puppy last Sat on 8 Jan. She has just turned 9 weeks. She is a bichon frise. I found a couple of fleas on her the next morning (Sunday) and immediately went to the supermarket and gave her Excelpet Capstar. The next day (Monday) I took her to a vet for checkup and told the vet the situation. The vet gave her advantage (topical) on her back. But even after the treatment and today, she is still scratching around the hind leg and ears too. I have been grooming her everyday checking for fleas and could not find any other fleas on her. I have never found any flea dirt on her. Is there anything else to do? I was told by my breeder that she should not be bath for another 3 weeks or thereabout and that is why I did not bath her. I had never had a pet in my home or backyard and only took her out to the backyard for toilet training. I am surprise that she caught a flea so soon. The breeder that I bought from is a reputable breeder. I have only given her whatever food that I got from the breeder - it is Science Diet for puppy. I have also flea treated my home. Is it normal for the dog to scratch even if there is no flea?

Thanks

It is possible there is a grass or some chemical product around your house the pup isn't used to, making her itchy. The flea treatment you put through your house could be irritating to her. Bathing her could make it worse if she turns out to be allergic or sensitive to the shampoo you use.

I know of a number of people who have had problems with dogs being sensitive with Science Diet but do NOT change her diet so soon after bringing her home.

A bit of scratching is normal with puppies I find, it's almost as if they're only just figuring out how to scratch and want to practise :thumbsup:

One or two fleas is no big deal, I wouldn't stress about it as she doesn't have fleas on her now, no reason to be greatly concerned. She may be a bit sensitive to the flea bites she did get but unless she's biting and scratching herself raw I personally wouldn't be too concerned with trying to put more chemicals in her environment or on her, it should ease off pretty quickly

Incidentally - being outside in the fresh air and sunlight will do her good - why the house arrest?

Dogs scratch for lots of reasons, not just fleas.

One common cause of scratching is loose hair that irritates them as it sits in their coat.

Moulting dogs scratch more than usual because of all the loose hair.

If she is like me, then she is hyer-sensitve to bites and will continue to scratch for days

Thanks for all your answers. That's a relief. We tried to allow her to play outdoors but it has been raining over here and she is not used to the collar or won't even go for walks. She also needs to have someone close nearby. She is still very anxious whenever she is alone by herself. Hopefully she will grow more confident soon.

Thanks for all your answers. That's a relief. We tried to allow her to play outdoors but it has been raining over here and she is not used to the collar or won't even go for walks. She also needs to have someone close nearby. She is still very anxious whenever she is alone by herself. Hopefully she will grow more confident soon.

I doubt she'll grow more confident unless you help her. She needs to get out and about, to puppy school and to be accustomed to spending time on her own. You will need to teach her to walk on the lead.

At nine weeks old she doesn't need to be going for walks - but take her places, carry her when you go walking, take her in the car then carry her somewhere. Don't leave her in the car alone unless it's extremely cool where you are and then only for a couple of minutes at the most.

Use this time before she's had her vaccinations to practice her being alone - at first behind a barrier she can see through, then behind a closed door. Start at just 2 or 3 seconds if this is all she will tolerate.

Being alone is not a natural state for a dog, you must teach her being alone is OK.

You can teach her to walk on a lead in your own back yard, or even in the living room if it's too wet outside.

All this sort of info should have been in the puppy info kit the breeder would have given you.

HI

The breeder only gave me a brief sheet about grooming and eating and this info that you provided is new to me. I thought I was prepared but I am learning so much more. I appreciate all the advise given.