Advice On Flea And De-worming For Puppy

dore

HI

Sorry but I need some advise as to the best way to keep my puppy protected from flea and worms. I have been reading about the various flea and de-worming prevention and would like to know if anyone, in particular owner of the bichon frise breed who can advise as to the health plan for their dog. My puppy is going to be 12 weeks soon and the de-worming tablet given by the breeder will finish then. She currently weighs 4 pounds. When I first got her (which was last Sat), I have found fleas on her and so I used excelpet capstar and Advantage on her. It worked and there is no longer any fleas.

However, I am concern about side effects of the flea treatment for bichon. I notice that even though she is clear of fleas, she is still itching. Took her to the vet to check and gave them her history and they said she is healthy and she is clear of flea but has no explanation for the itch except to say that she is a puppy and they tend to itch more. However, I did some further reading and read that bichon tend to be more sensitive to flea bites. I also read somewhere that bichon may also be allergic to the Advantage flea treatment. As such I am now in a bind.

The vet had advise me to use interceptor tasty chew spectrum (for the Heartworm and tapeworm) and nothing else as they say that flea is not an issue in ACT. However, I have my concern as my bichon did have a flea when I brought her to Canberra and I ended up having to "bomb" the house, vaccum, etc. I also read somewhere that bichon tends to get ear mites easily too. As such, I want to prevent another flea episode and to ensure she won't get any further allergy from any bites albeit flea or ear mites. That is why I was thinking of using advocate monthly together milbemax every quarter? Is this a good combination for this breed?

FYI, my puppy has now adjusted very well to the household and is sleeping the whole night without any barking and also toilet training well. She is happy except for the itch (every now and then). I have also bath her as per the vet's advise using dermcare. She is so adorable and I hope to keep her healthy and happy for as long as possible.

Any advise is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

cheers

HI

Sorry but I need some advise as to the best way to keep my puppy protected from flea and worms. I have been reading about the various flea and de-worming prevention and would like to know if anyone, in particular owner of the bichon frise breed who can advise as to the health plan for their dog. My puppy is going to be 12 weeks soon and the de-worming tablet given by the breeder will finish then. She currently weighs 4 pounds. When I first got her (which was last Sat), I have found fleas on her and so I used excelpet capstar and Advantage on her. It worked and there is no longer any fleas.

However, I am concern about side effects of the flea treatment for bichon. I notice that even though she is clear of fleas, she is still itching. Took her to the vet to check and gave them her history and they said she is healthy and she is clear of flea but has no explanation for the itch except to say that she is a puppy and they tend to itch more. However, I did some further reading and read that bichon tend to be more sensitive to flea bites. I also read somewhere that bichon may also be allergic to the Advantage flea treatment. As such I am now in a bind.

The vet had advise me to use interceptor tasty chew spectrum (for the Heartworm and tapeworm) and nothing else as they say that flea is not an issue in ACT. However, I have my concern as my bichon did have a flea when I brought her to Canberra and I ended up having to "bomb" the house, vaccum, etc. I also read somewhere that bichon tends to get ear mites easily too. As such, I want to prevent another flea episode and to ensure she won't get any further allergy from any bites albeit flea or ear mites. That is why I was thinking of using advocate monthly together milbemax every quarter? Is this a good combination for this breed?

FYI, my puppy has now adjusted very well to the household and is sleeping the whole night without any barking and also toilet training well. She is happy except for the itch (every now and then). I have also bath her as per the vet's advise using dermcare. She is so adorable and I hope to keep her healthy and happy for as long as possible.

cheers

Hey Dore, It is true that puppies tend to itch more so i think it is normal and nothing worry about. I advise you to use advocate( does most of your worms except tapeworm), fleas, and heartworm in conjunction with interceptor which will cover your missing tapeworm. Ive found this to be the best combination for my dogs and many of my customers tried it and now swear by it.

I advise you to use advocate( does most of your worms except tapeworm), fleas, and heartworm in conjunction with interceptor which will cover your missing tapeworm. Ive found this to be the best combination for my dogs and many of my customers tried it and now swear by it.

[/quote]

Advocate and Interceptor both contain ingredients for worming and Heartwormin, so you will be doubling up on chemicals if you use this treatment regime. If using Advocate just use a tapewormer.

Hey Dore, It is true that puppies tend to itch more so i think it is normal and nothing worry about. I advise you to use advocate( does most of your worms except tapeworm), fleas, and heartworm in conjunction with interceptor which will cover your missing tapeworm. Ive found this to be the best combination for my dogs and many of my customers tried it and now swear by it.

I don't agree with this post at all, I've had quite a few litters and none of the puppies were itchy, if they were I would want to know why because it certainly isn't normal. I wouldn't recommend that you use Advocate and Interceptor together either, expensive and totally unnecessary. If you want to use one of the monthly treatments just use Advocate and give Droncit for tapeworm, although if you eliminate fleas your dog won't acquire tapeworm. Your dog is probably still scratching because a dog that's allergic to fleas may remain itchy for up to two weeks following the originall flea bite.

I advise you to use advocate( does most of your worms except tapeworm), fleas, and heartworm in conjunction with interceptor which will cover your missing tapeworm. Ive found this to be the best combination for my dogs and many of my customers tried it and now swear by it.

[/quote]

Advocate and Interceptor both contain ingredients for worming and Heartwormin, so you will be doubling up on chemicals if you use this treatment regime. If using Advocate just use a tapewormer.

It is true that they both due, but ive never had a problem where someone overdosed them ever and i have ALOT of people that use it with no complains. To each their own i guess. For a tapewormer seperate you should ask your local vet or the store you are buying it from(somewhere where they know what their doing) they will give you a brand they have available. But like i said earlier overdosing, on those two products and sticking by the doses is safe. You can also go for comfortis which is a wormer and is put on the back of the neck like advocate so no hassle of tablets or drontal which is also very common used in conjunction with advocate and no problems that ive encountered or heard of. Hope this helps you :)

Edited by RIP HERO

For a breed known for skin allergies in a region not known for fleas I'd be avoiding all spot treatments like the plague.

Dore, use an all wormer once every three months for intestinal worms, a monthly heart worm tablet like Proheart in Spring, Summer and Autumn and only treat fleas when you need to (Capstar tablets are fine)

You should also consider that your pup's itching has nothing to do with fleas. It could be a contact allergy and it could also be diet related. What are you feeding the pup?

Edited by poodlefan

For a breed known for skin allergies in a region not known for fleas I'd be avoiding all spot treatments like the plague.

Dore, use an all wormer once every three months for intestinal worms, a monthly heart worm tablet like Proheart in Spring, Summer and Autumn and only treat fleas when you need to (Capstar tablets are fine)

You should also consider that your pup's itching has nothing to do with fleas. It could be a contact allergy and it could also be diet related. What are you feeding the pup?

I agree with PF, I don't use monthly treatments either, to me it is pointless to treat a dog for something it doesn't have. I worm about three time a year, use Advantage if I ever find fleas (haven't had them in years) and Heartgard in spring/summer.

To the OP I would also recommend that whatever product you buy you purchase it online as it is much cheaper. Vets and pet shops are horrendously expensive.

Edited by Miranda

[/quote]

It is true that they both due, but ive never had a problem where someone overdosed them ever and i have ALOT of people that use it with no complains. To each their own i guess. For a tapewormer seperate you should ask your local vet or the store you are buying it from(somewhere where they know what their doing) they will give you a brand they have available. But like i said earlier overdosing, on those two products and sticking by the doses is safe. You can also go for comfortis which is a wormer and is put on the back of the neck like advocate so no hassle of tablets or drontal which is also very common used in conjunction with advocate and no problems that ive encountered or heard of. Hope this helps you :)

RIP HERO the regimen you are recommending is chemical overload and as I said previously, totally unnecessary. I cannot understand why you are recommending these treatments. Also why on earth would you use Drontal with Advocate when Droncit is specifically formulated for tapeworm.

HI all

Thanks for your response. I have been feeding whatever the breeder gave. The breeder told me that it is scientific diet. I have not change her diet and trying to source the cause of her itchiness. It has been a week since her flea bite. Hopefully it will go away in another week. I just hope that she is not allergic to us instead.

cheers & thanks again

Dore

[/quote]

RIP HERO the regimen you are recommending is chemical overload and as I said previously, totally unnecessary. I cannot understand why you are recommending these treatments. Also why on earth would you use Drontal with Advocate when Droncit is specifically formulated for tapeworm.

Im recommending it because like i said IMO it is what works and what I USE. At work we dont have Droncit and no one using this formula has overdosed. But like i said before to each their own, your right to have your opinion and im right to have mine as i have used it, so have my customers and fellow dog owners i work with and no one has overdosed on it....Its up to the OP at the end of the day it was my advice and i stick by it. You dont have to accept or understand it...stick to your preferred method :laugh: Btw just for reference how many does have you seen overdosed on advocate and drontal?

Edited by RIP HERO

It is true that they both due, but ive never had a problem where someone overdosed them ever and i have ALOT of people that use it with no complains. To each their own i guess. For a tapewormer seperate you should ask your local vet or the store you are buying it from(somewhere where they know what their doing) they will give you a brand they have available. But like i said earlier overdosing, on those two products and sticking by the doses is safe. You can also go for comfortis which is a wormer and is put on the back of the neck like advocate so no hassle of tablets or drontal which is also very common used in conjunction with advocate and no problems that ive encountered or heard of. Hope this helps you :D

Comfortis is actually a flea adulticide - it is a tablet, and is not for use in pups under 14 weeks.

Im very sorry you are right i made the mistake of writing the wrong brand what i meant was milbemax which is for worming. I will look up the applicator for you as milbemax is a tablet. Sorry for the mistake..

Edited by RIP HERO

Comfortis also comes in a tube

Not according to its maker Linky here It says its for oral use and that it shouldn't be used with Ivermectin based drugs.

PF, i made a mistake sorry i said that in the comment above...i will check up the applicator name has slipped my mind with so many brands around...:D

Btw i know some people will disagree with each having their own opinion. I like discussing and hearing people out so would like to hear what everyone has to say just be nice and polite about it..im more than happy to be the same

Edited by RIP HERO

dear god why would you put that many chemicals into an animal. Especially recommending it to something like a bichon that will spend most of its life as a house dog and have little chance of getting parasites let alone requiring monthly chemical flushes like you recommend. Do you worry about long term pumping of chemicals into animals or do you just read the pamphlets that the drug companies hand out to you and take their word for it.

Dore if you're wanting to use a product I would try Frontline plus once a month. A general allwormer (I use Ranvet allwormers for mine, they are purchased generically) every 3 months when the dog is 6 months and onwards. Saying that my dogs only get wormed if I notice a problem and I use no flea treatments at my place at all. If I notice a flea I use one dose of Frontline and its over - it kills the adults, kills larvae and pupae and prevents any fertile eggs being laid in your house. Considering you're in the ACT you can use Milbemax monthly to cover all worms as well as heartworm.

Thanks for all the feedback.

I am just paranoid about the bites (flea or otherwise) because she may seem to be sensitive to the bites. I only found 1 flea on her 10 days ago when I first took her from the breeder and even though she is cleared of fleas for more than a week, nevertheless, she is still scatching. When I took her out of her crate this morning, she immediately went over to the carpet and started rolling over and scratching her bum and ears. I did not find anything on her and luckily she has not got any tear in her skin. I am not worried about ticks but more of flea and also ear mites since I think she will react badly if she ever gets them. Would revolution be a better option since it also covers worming?

Thanks in advance

Im recommending it because like i said IMO it is what works and what I USE. At work we dont have Droncit and no one using this formula has overdosed. But like i said before to each their own, your right to have your opinion and im right to have mine as i have used it, so have my customers and fellow dog owners i work with and no one has overdosed on it....Its up to the OP at the end of the day it was my advice and i stick by it. You dont have to accept or understand it...stick to your preferred method :hug: Btw just for reference how many does have you seen overdosed on advocate and drontal?

It has nothing to do with overdosing RH and I never said that it didn't work, what I'm concerned about is administering unnecessary chemicals to the dog. Advocate covers all intestinal worms excluding tapeworm and Drontal covers all intestinal worms including tapeworm so you are actually doubling up on the treatment for round, hook and whip. If you want to use Advocate give Droncit a couple of times a year, if your dog is flea free it is highly unlikely that the dog will have tape anyway. It is also much cheaper to do it this way. If you don't have Droncit at work, order some.

You are recommending that people give their dogs extra chemicals that are not only unnecessary, but also expensive and I make no apology in pointing out that there is a better and cheaper way. I don't care what you give your dog, that's entirely up to you, but coming onto a public forum and advising novice owners to do the same is another thing altogether.

Dore your dog sounds like she has something more then flea allergy, I would say either environment, contact or diet is contributing. Like I said Frontline Plus and Milbemax would be my option if I had your dog. Frontline is the preferred choice for animals with flea bite allergies like my dog, one flea bite and he tears himself to shreds.

Ear mites are something I dont really worry about. Maybe I'm just lucky but in 20 years I've never owned an animal that has had them.

HI

cheers

http://www.earthworkshealth.com/pets-animals.phpu

You might want to have a look at this option as a non chemical alternative. It is highly recommmended on one of the healthy dog sites I'm on where they try to avoid using chemicals.

Only use human grade though not pool grade.