Seeking Recommendations For Obedience Training In Brisbane Southside

Lambo

Hi folks,

Apologies for cross-posting. I originally posted this query in the general discussions forum before realising there was a separate training and obedience forum.

My weim pup turns 12 weeks old tomorrow and I want to enrol him in a basic obedience class as soon as he finishes puppy pre-school in about 3 weeks. Could someone please point me in the direction of "good" and reputable obedience trainer. I would prefer someone based near Garden City / Upper Mt Gravatt if at all possible.

Thanks in advance.

www.wagtails.com.au

I can highly recommend Tabitha and her team. She is based in the western suburbs but has training venues all over Brisbane. I recall there is one at Springwood.

Hi folks,

Apologies for cross-posting. I originally posted this query in the general discussions forum before realising there was a separate training and obedience forum.

My weim pup turns 12 weeks old tomorrow and I want to enrol him in a basic obedience class as soon as he finishes puppy pre-school in about 3 weeks. Could someone please point me in the direction of "good" and reputable obedience trainer. I would prefer someone based near Garden City / Upper Mt Gravatt if at all possible.

Thanks in advance.

Are you 'just' looking to do basic obedience so you have a well behaved/well mannered family pet or are you looking to do obedience as a performance sport down the track?

Are you 'just' looking to do basic obedience so you have a well behaved/well mannered family pet or are you looking to do obedience as a performance sport down the track?

At this stage we just need a well behaved dog, but I am looking at sports longer term. I understand that Weims need mental as well as physical exercise so I figure we may need to go down the sporting track to keep him well adjusted - but for now, I'd just like to get the basics down pat. He is presently responding (unreliably) to commands like sit, down, and quiet - but even less reliably to commands like come and leave it. I assume that this is perhaps because he is just too young. Either way, I'd like to get him responding to these solidly first and then evaluate his needs for further obedience training (sports-wise) down the track.

By the way, to Minxy and Ams, thanks for the recommendations. I had been looking at Urban Dog Training but hadn't come across Wagtails. The latter looks pretty good but might be too far for me to travel, especially during weeknights as I don't usually finish work until 7pm at the earliest.

I usually see people training their dogs at the Mt Gravatt Showgrounds whenever I pass on my way home from work in the evenings. If anyone knows who conducts these classes and can give a rundown on what they think of them, that would be appreciated also.

Thanks everyone.

We were essentially in the same position as you this time last year. With our weim we took her to Southside Dog Obedience Club down at Runcorn (we are from the tarragindi / holland park west area). http://www.southsideobedience.webs.com

Their price is cheap. something like $10 per year for membership and $5 per lesson.

I think it all depends on which instructors you get but we are very happy with the progress of our not so little anymore weim at southside. Just remember to do your homework and that weims like to walk the fine line between doing what they want and doing what you want.