Fostering/adopting A Shelter/rescue Dog

Sam the man

I have been helping to walk the dogs that have been picked up since the flood and are under the care of the RSPCA. Some have owners who can't have them at home because of flood damage making house and yard unsuitable and others are strays. The council pound will only keep a stray dog for 72 hours and then it seems the RSPCA are taking over these dogs to give the owners longer time to find them or be traced. All these dogs ATM are in a temporary shelter.

I have become very keen to either foster or adopt a dog who needs either a temporary or forever home.

We have a 6 yr old JRT desexed male who can get very excited at times but can be very laidback too.

I have a few questions re:getting another dog. I think the same thought should be put into it whether a foster or adopt as both will have the same needs.

Which is better male or female? Older or younger than Sam? Bigger or smaller?

Sam is taken for a walk twice a day and then is inside after the evening walk. When outside he is in a large fenced off area which is attached to the house (this area would be about the same size as a small suburban back yard). The fence is 4 foot high accessed through the laundry and with gates at both ends which we lock whenever we're away. Any other dog would be given the same care as Sam.

What sort of dog would be suitable given the above info. There is a lovely little fox terrier cross male said to be 1 year old (no known owner) whose paper says possible adopt in about a week's time. I could easily bring him home :confused: if I let my heart rule my head.

Edited by Sam the man

Good that you're putting some serious thought into this as it's important to get a good match whether a foster or more permanent arrangement is being put in place.

Only you know your dog. But with that in mind, some tips to help choose another dog:

1. Meet potential dogs that interest you. Have a look at how they behave with people, with other dogs, and especially if you have them, with children.

2. Make a short-list of potentials. Express your interest in them and find out whether the dogs can be held while you make arrangements for them to meet your dog.

3. When you do take your dog for the first meeting, remember to be relaxed about the whole thing. Dogs should be introduced through a see-through enclosure if possible before meeting without a barrier. By that I mean either a screen door or kennel wall/gate. Allow them to meet once they show they're not going to lunge at each other from the initial introduction, on neutral ground such as a shared exercise area. Keep them on a loose lead at first, then if the signs are positive, drop the leads and be willing to intervene if needed.

4. If step 3 goes well, taking them for a walk together will help you figure out whether they're likely to be best buddies or not but this isn't foolproof either!

In my opinion, gender doesn't always matter. I have three desexed females and they all get along but people always say you shouldn't have three girls together.

Edited by lillysmum

Good on you for helping out these dogs affected by the floods. :confused:

LM's given v. good advice.

I'd only add that it's great you're in a position to do 'test' walking & 'test' play with any other dog you're considering.

And that also I find 2 dogs easier to care for than 1, because they're good company for each other.

Well when I went in to help walk the dogs (that are in the care of the RSPCA) yesterday afternoon all the dogs had been taken for a walk. I then asked about any dogs to foster and still quite a few there. I had been very fond of another little dog (fox terrier cross) but found someone else had already asked for him so I have brought home this little dog who I have called Charlie. :( In hindsight I think he was the better choice anyway.post-8758-1295753026_thumb.jpg He seems to have made himself right at home. As yet we haven't tried him and Sam out in the pen running loose but both okay in the house and when out walking together. At present he is a foster dog.

Not real sure what breed/cross breed he is. Australian silky terrier???? crossed with something else.?????? I'm not reaaly up with all the terrier breeds? He is a lovely natured dog.

I'd be interested to know what sort of bones he would eat? ATM he is on the dry food and tinned food supplied by RSPCA but I will gradually get him on to the way I feed Sam.

Wondering about bones? Chicken necks??

Ooh, I love the cute scruffies! He looks adorable.

I would introduce chicken wings or wing portions in preference to chicken necks. Also lamb ribs (or flap) are good for the little tackers but watch the fat content and if you buy the big flap sections, remove as much of the excess fat as you can. Otherwise you can buy them already prepared in the supermarket. Lamb neck rounds (chops) are also good. Beef or lamb brisket pieces, just watch any smaller dog with those...

Have fun and take it slowly with the two dogs' interactions...they will more than likely work it out really well but supervise for the first few weeks at least.