The Old Dog

kinsella

My breed, Irish Wolfhounds, age very quickly compared to many smaller breeds. As sad as it is to see them grow old, it is also an incredibly sweet period. Wolfhounds tend towards the geriatric delinquent syndrome. They just love being naughty and are so secure in themselves that they know they are not going to get into trouble. Their sense of humour seems to develop in pace with their declining physical abilities and it is just magic. They spend much more time with you as they no longer want to chase rabbits, well as often :D , but now enjoy a slow potter at your side. It is hard to describe just how close they become in their twighlight years but it is very special.

I suppose for the first topic in this forum I should have concentrated on health or nutrition but I just had say how wonderful I find the oldies.

Kinsella, I too have an oldie and its good to have a section devoted to them. :laugh: Mine turned 13 last November making her my oldest GSD to date. My last oldest reached 13 & 3 weeks

Our walks have got shorter and she no longer wants to go for an afternoon one. The back legs have got a bit wobbly but we still manage a jump around. I am thinking of getting a harness so I can help her in and out of the car. She loves sleeping in longer.

As for food she has always been a fussy eater. The evening meal has to be served at the same time every night. If I put it in front of her early or its something she doesn't want she gets up and walks away.

It has its funny side, like when they are walking along and decide to use their bowls, plop plop. I wont go there, only to say its just as well I have tiled floors and good night time sight!

• 3 weeks later...
Kinsella, I too have an oldie and its good to have a section devoted to them. :D Mine turned 13 last November making her my oldest GSD to date. My last oldest reached 13 & 3 weeks

Our walks have got shorter and she no longer wants to go for an afternoon one. The back legs have got a bit wobbly but we still manage a jump around. I am thinking of getting a harness so I can help her in and out of the car. She loves sleeping in longer.

As for food she has always been a fussy eater. The evening meal has to be served at the same time every night. If I put it in front of her early or its something she doesn't want she gets up and walks away.

It has its funny side, like when they are walking along and decide to use their bowls, plop plop. I wont go there, only to say its just as well I have tiled floors and good night time sight!

We have 6 retired greyhounds of which 3 are younger males and 3 older females. The youngest girl is nearly 10 and doing fine, the next is a 12 yr old girl with only 3 legs who has always struggled walking long distances but apart from that she is just fine until the last couple of months is really ageing. All she does is sleep and can only manage to walk 3 houses and she is exausted now. We bought her a lovely stroller/trailer but she is very nervous and just won't get in it so sadly only gets a drive for a break out of the house now.

The oldest was 13 last September and the one who is really struggling and very sad to see like she is. She is also the oldest greyhound we have owned the last girl passed away at 13 and 1 week.

I read a thread on here recently about old dogs and dementure and thought our girl was doing really well but since then she is really going down hill. If she goes out to the toilet by herself and doesn't come back inside straight away I have to go and find her as she tends to get lost in the small backyard.

The worst thing is also the bowl problem. It was the occassional little parcle left around the house but we just don't walk around the house without shoes now because she leaves greyt big long fully formed sausages all over the place for us to step in. It is funny though the way she just squats and plop, plops right in the middle of her meal.

And her panting is terrible and we just don't know whether it is pain related or not.

They are the best dogs to own the dear oldies though.

Sophie aged 13.4 has her panting moments at night as well. But then my 4yo Pepper does as well. So I figured it was the heat not age. Both have been sleeping on the bare floor some nights but move to their beds in the early hours. Heat related I am sure!