Rubbish In Bin Trick

tigger000

Hey everyone,

So for the past few weeks i have been teaching my dalmation to put a piece of rubbish in the bin (a squashed water bottle).

We're at the stage now where i can move the item about 1-2 metres from the bin and on command he will pick it up and put it in the bin - eventually.

The problem is, he tends to drop the item a couple of times before actually putting it in the bin. I have just been ignoring him when he does this and only rewarding him when he actually gets in the bin.

The times (very few) when he doesnt drop the rubbish item at all, i make a big fuss and jackpot.

Has anyone got any other ideas on how to stop him dropping the item before getting it in the bin? Or does anyone know why he may be doing it?

Another slight problem is that he gets distracted quite easily....i was thinking of not feeding him for a day and then trying and seeing how that goes. I havent had a chance to train him before his dinner yet...so im thinking he just isnt that motivated to do it as he isnt that hungry!

thanks in advance

I taught my dog how to do this, but it's with his toys and his toy basket. I backchained it and used a clicker so that I only clicked when the toy landed in the basket - he's got the idea and now if he rushes and misses the basket or the toy knocks the rim and falls out he quickly picks it back up and puts it in.

He may be dropping it because he is keen to get the reward in his mouth.

:mad don't not feed him, just train the few minutes before dinner or early in the morning

The problem is, he tends to drop the item a couple of times before actually putting it in the bin. I have just been ignoring him when he does this and only rewarding him when he actually gets in the bin.

The times (very few) when he doesnt drop the rubbish item at all, i make a big fuss and jackpot.

Has anyone got any other ideas on how to stop him dropping the item before getting it in the bin? Or does anyone know why he may be doing it?

Some ideas:

It's an awkward shape or feeling in his mouth, so he picks it up repeatedly until it feels right in his mouth?

Or perhaps he just is too excited to get the reward to concentrate on holding it?

Or, your rewards aren't good enough, so he's getting bored & playing with the bottle to reward himself?

I'd first attempt to fix by making it really easy (e.g. don't put it too far away & use something he likes to hold), then if he drops it I'd be giving a NRM and gently taking it off him, putting it back, & asking him to try again.

If he's not motivated, then perhaps work on engagement until he's willing to play the game with you.