Puppy And Hot Spots

buckley rog

Hi,

I have a 6month old golden retriever who seems to have rather sensitive skin. He has had a few hot spots over the summer. He plays with another puppy that is mouthy and I have noticed that the next day after playing with this dog sometimes he will have little marks on his belly/hind legs (when he plays he spends alot of time lying on his back) and the last two times he has had a hot spot it has been after playing? I think they are mostly related to allergies but just wondered if playing with other dogs can make them worse? Also if this dog is nipping him harder than it appears.

He is fed Eukanuba (large puppy) with meaty bones at the moment thinking of changing him to BARF but not confident in doing that until he is through his growth stage (his breeder recommended not changing his diet at the moment). Hot spots are such horrible things just get his skin healthy again and then they are back!

If he is getting hot while he's playing that might make the hotspots worse. Also, JMO, but I would NEVER give a puppy Eukanuba - I feel it causes to rapid muscular growth & he might have joint problems later in life (I say this as a breeder of largish dogs for 16 years).

Do you have the plant wandering jew in your yard - this is a well-known allergen. A poster on the Poodle Thread recommends Polaramine 5mg to treat hotspots - it's a mild antihistamine & should be available from your Chemist.

Hot spots are caused by fungus - they aren't an allergic reaction as such. Think of them as dog tinea.

My guess is your pup's getting them where he's been mouthed - its dampness that encourages the fungus to grow.

My dogs don't get them so I can't help with treatment but a search here on +hot +spot should throw up some threads.

hmm I will have to research the Eukanuba a bit more it is the large puppy version, I was thinking of changing him to Royal Canin (lab puppy). Just dont like messing with his food too much. He does get very hot when playing and takes a while to cool back down. There is no wandering jew in the yard (removed it all a few months ago and have been keeping a close eye on it as pup loves to eat it if it is around)

Hot spots are caused by fungus - they aren't an allergic reaction as such. Think of them as dog tinea.

My guess is your pup's getting them where he's been mouthed - its dampness that encourages the fungus to grow.

My dogs don't get them so I can't help with treatment but a search here on +hot +spot should throw up some threads.

That's interesting, Poodlefan - I've always thought they were an allergic reaction!

buckley rog - the Royal Canin is a good food, but I always raised my puppies on plain old Supercoat Puppy dryfood from the supermarket :D They certainly seem to thrive on it! Your boy is gorgeous - I love Labs. Do you give him any raw food/bones?

here is a picture of the poor fella

He is really beautiful! Looks like he has a nice big head (love them!! :D )

Get insurance for your fella if you haven't already. Allergy treatment costs will be horrific over the lifetime of the dog (if he is an allergy dog).

Inspect your dog every day, (especially in summer) for hotspots just like you would for ticks or whatever. The earlier you catch a hotspot, the quicker it heals and you are less likely to need a vet visit. Hotspots can appear over night and get very bad within 12 to 24 hours.

I have used and always recommend Living Nature Rescue Gel for hotspots. Use two or three times a day. I think it's pure gold after a hotspot disappearing within 24 hours. It's available online, just google it if you want more info.

And go check out the health section for all the hotspot threads, will keep you busy for a while :laugh:

That's interesting, Poodlefan - I've always thought they were an allergic reaction!

buckley rog - the Royal Canin is a good food, but I always raised my puppies on plain old Supercoat Puppy dryfood from the supermarket :D They certainly seem to thrive on it! Your boy is gorgeous - I love Labs. Do you give him any raw food/bones?

*whispers to poodlemum*

I think he might be a Golden Retriever!

He gets checked daily or at the very least every second day give him a quick brush (which he loves) and just check for any new sores/redness. Treating him with quick itch, corisone cream and wound guard (he hates it though I think it must sting)... he will hide in his crate if he sees me coming near him with the creams also hair all trimmed back around any sores.

We do have insurance.. just in case. From what I have read they are from fungus/bacteria but begin from a break in the skin which can be caused from scratching (ie allergies)

He gets checked daily or at the very least every second day give him a quick brush (which he loves) and just check for any new sores/redness. Treating him with quick itch, corisone cream and wound guard (he hates it though I think it must sting)... he will hide in his crate if he sees me coming near him with the creams also hair all trimmed back around any sores.

We do have insurance.. just in case. From what I have read they are from fungus/bacteria but begin from a break in the skin which can be caused from scratching (ie allergies)

Poor darlin'! Make sure you give him some really nice treats at the same time as treating him with the creams etc.

We have never had issues feeding Eukanunba (large breeds) but you couldn't pay me to use supercoat .

It comes down to personnal preference but if the dog is predisposedto hot spots then the diet may need to be considered

Dog staying to moist,chewing an itchy spot(moist) dead hair not being brushed out so they itch/chew(moist)

Certain foods can over heat them which of course then leads to chewing & the cycle goes on.

Beef can often be a bad cause also chunk food likes schmackos etc etc

To be honest if your dog is getting hot spots after playing with this dog then i would be stopping it .You also say he gets so hot & bothered

Look at it as a trial to ensure its related to this dogs mouthy play.

Hot spots aren't pleasant & can drive the dogs crazy,the hair can sometimes fall out & the new re growth can be itchy which annoys them.

It would seem at present you have been lucky & haven't had one turn green & get really big .

Also keep in mind over play is just as bad for growing joints & no diet can stop the effects of that .

I

Show dog, He generally only has lamb bones sometimes beef but not as often. We don't give him chicken as I have noticed his itching can increase. I thought he was doing ok on the eukanuba we changed him from advance to euk and his coat did seem to improve at least.

Has anyone found that changing to BARF helps with itches and hot spots etc? Puppy school recommended it and one vet, but his breeder thought it was a very bad idea and she seems to be fairly reputable.

You could try that to see if the lack of grains in his diet makes a difference. But you would need to do a proper BARF diet so the dog was getting all the nutrients.

You could also try half BARF and half kibble. Mason2009 uses a brand which is good for her allergy dog .... she might see this and reply with the details.

I'm no expert, but I believe hot spots are caused by a break in the skin that bacteria gets into and it can spread.

When I used to nurse, and dogs would come in with hot spots, we would clip all the hair off around the spot, and clean with an iodine soloution to stop the bacteria from spreading. I remember a rotti came in once, and it has spread so badly the dog was practically one big hot spot! It's whole head was covered... yucko.

As for prevention - well I'm not 100% sure really, but obviously when your pup plays rough his skin is getting broken a little and bacteria is getting in. Maybe you could give him a good clean down after a play?

buckley rog - the Royal Canin is a good food, but I always raised my puppies on plain old Supercoat Puppy dryfood from the supermarket :) They certainly seem to thrive on it! Your boy is gorgeous - I love Labs. Do you give him any raw food/bones?

*whispers to poodlemum*

I think he might be a Golden Retriever!

:shrug::(

Of COURSE he is - I love Goldens too