All Good Now. :)

Gone Grey

My 12yo male greyhound had a leg amputated yesterday due to osteosarcoma. We got him home this morning and he's been lying around quietly. but over the last hour or so he's started panting and whining, he seems to be in pain. The vet this morning gave us carprofen and said he doesn't need any until tomorrow! I'm currently trying to ring them but nobody's answering. I also have some Tramadol they gave us before the surgery. Can anyone advise whether we should give him something, or could it cause more damage? I'll keep ringing the vet emergency line.

Edited by Gone Grey

Greys are sensitive and do feel pain, but I wouldn't want to go giving him lots of stuff. Especially Metacam, which many people seem to have, which can be stressful on the kidneys. After an amputation you need to keep fluids up after the resultant blood loss and don't need any further stress on kidneys.

Maybe see if you can take his mind off it somehow? Is he moving at all yet? Maybe if he shifts position he'll feel better? Has he just moved into a position that's aggravating it?

If he gets really distressed a vet visit could be in order, just so long as the stress of moving and travelling etc doesn't make it worse anyway.

Poor boy, the first couple of days are tough, hopefully he'll bounce back soon.

Edited by Alyosha

Thank you, that's great advice. I'm kind of embarrassed to admit this but here goes. I was patting him, trying what you said Trifecta (except there's nothing left of the limb, the cancer was in his front shoulder) and he was whining and getting really distressed. Then he got up and waited at the door so I let him out. He hopped over to the grass and did the biggest wee I've ever seen! He had such relief on his face. Then he limped inside, lay down and he's been fine ever since. I can't believe I panicked and all he needed was a wee. :whiteflag:

Hey it means I care, right? :confused: