Miniature Aussie Shepherd?

ravenau1

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If someone is hellbent in getting a miniature Aussie, they should get a Papillon. There's a couple at our obedience club with a black tri Aussie and a white, black and tan Papillon, and honestly the little Pap is like a miniature, mirror image of his big brother. They both do obedience and agility and tey are both as clever as each other. The Papillon is actually MUCH more active than the Aussie.

or a shetland sheepdog :confused:

(the breeders in the US say they are sheltie size)

Everything is smaller in the Shetland islands :laugh:

Shetland sheep http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shetland_%28sheep%29

Shetland Pony http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shetland_pony

I know!!

My girl is going out for a herding trial in a few weeks (just the basic instinct test) with big marino sheep! She loved the 'come and try' we did last year. She is so small in comparison to the sheep! (She is a 14" bitch - correct size for the standard). Shetland sheep would be interesting for her I reckon.

Donning flame suit. :laugh:

I guess playing the devil's advocate here.. but if everything were to be done 'by the book' so to speak (health testing etc), and genuine hard work and effort being put into lines, is it really that bad to create a new breed? From what I've read the 'Mini Aussie' isn't going to be affiliated with the original Aussie. There are people out there who are putting the hard yards in to get them recognised by a control body, no?

Fair enough I'm sure there are plenty of unscrupulous breeders out there keen to cash in, much like the oodle craze, but I'm also sure there are just as many responsible people out there, too.

Just an opinion. :laugh::confused:

If it's to be a proper breed, I don't think they can use the name "Miniature Australian Shepherd" as it's not one.....it doesn't even look like a small Aussie....it looks something like a cross between an Aussie, a Sheltie and a Papillon. Well some of them do. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of consistency either.

I believe an alternative name is North American Shepherd, but to be named that, the dog would have to have a recorded history of herding. Isn't there some ruling about naming a new breed, that the name has to reflect it's origins or it's intent? Which is why the Labradoodle will never be called that and if it ever gets to the point of being more than a mutt, the correct name (for now) is Australian Service Dog.

Yes, I'd heard of the alternate name and figured that would be the go-er - but had no idea they would have to have a recorded history of herding. Does that mean that breeds like the Shiloh Shepherd have a history of herding? I don't know a lot about them but thought they were bred as companions?

I'm not 100% sure on the rulling and cant be bothered trying to find it, but it's something about new breeds being named for what they were bred for, or their origins....it can't be a "made up" name and it can't hang off another breeds name.

Are Shiloh Shepherds bred from dogs who have a recorded history of herding? What's the "Shiloh" part of the name from?