The Delights Of Adopting An Adult Dog.

Gayle.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

when i looked to get leo i wanted no puppy piddles... seemed a bit odd to most folks but i have done years and years of puppies. i did not want any more with a full time job.

i wanted a doggie whom could cope and fit in with being left the odd day... not a baby who needed every thing including toilet training...

leo needed de sexing but at 10mo that was fine. sophie was in the same boat but badly treated... and our other jrts... as well.

we had not adopted our last 4 who know they may have ended up in heaven.

Alfie was about 6 when we got him. He was a sad boy mourning for his old life. Now he's full of joy (in his own conservative way) and happily bosses our girl around and prances up and down the hallway after dinner letting us know all is right in his world.

He didn't bark until we'd had him a few months now he barks at the neighbor's Jack Russell through the fence and he's since learned this funny little grumble sound to get our attention. In fact, he's just done it to me now to let me know the water bowl is empty and he'd like fresh water thanks! :thumbsup:

So even at 9 he's learning things all the time. I love the older ones. :D

I got Shandy when she was about 18 months old, as an ex show dog. She'd had very little training, but had shown an aptitude for training, which is what I wanted. She moved in so easily -never bothered the cats, only ever had one toilet mistake inside, and never chewed anything that wasn't left outside with her uring the day. She took to obedience training like a duck to water, and had her first obedience title less than 2 years after she came to us.

Oh and her recall is excellent, despite the fact that she'd never heard of it before she came to us! :thumbsup:

My family have adopted ex show dogs for years though - after we gave up breeding ourselves, we had couple of dogs who were unhappy in a kennel situation from friends who still bred, and my parents 2 boxers are both ex show dogs as well - one was too small for the standard, and one too big, so they make a funny pair. All in all, she's been an absolute joy to own, and as a full time worker, I'd definitely have an adult dog again over a puppy!

I got Grumpy when he was 10 and a half and Mini when she was five. Grumpy is very set in his ways, mainly in that he decides when he wants to do something and no amount of persuasion or bribery on my part will get him to change his mind. Everything has to be his idea. The first night, I just didn't think, and went to give Grumpy a cuddle (wheatens are very cuddly dogs) and he just didn't like that and tried to take my face off. Lesson learned: Grumpy doesn't like people in his face. It took me about a month to become ''his' and the night that happened, I was sitting on the floor throwing around a toy and he was chasing it. He dumped the toy, jumped on me and slurped all over my face.

Mini was instantly my bestest friend evah! As she is with nearly everyone because she's just a BFF gatherer. Grumpy took a little more time to warm up to her. She wasn't allowed on the bed or the couch and even now, if Grumpy gets up on the couch, she'll get down. Most of that is because he sits on her. One morning I went into the bedroom and found them curled up together, so she takes and he gives in (with everything other than toys and food - Grumpy's in charge of those). She really is the perfect dog for him. When I was talking to his breeder about getting a kerry, he said that Grumpy needed a dog that would give him cheek but defer to him in areas that mattered and she does that exactly.

I adopted Leila as an adult, she was just a perfect fit, she came house trained and just needed to learn manners and basic obedience, 6 years on and I still think she is the most awesome dog ever.

I reccomend well balanced adult dogs to anyone looking for a companion, bonding is no issue is you choose a dog you actually connect with from the start.

I adopted Leila as an adult, she was just a perfect fit, she came house trained and just needed to learn manners and basic obedience, 6 years on and I still think she is the most awesome dog ever.

I reccomend well balanced adult dogs to anyone looking for a companion, bonding is no issue is you choose a dog you actually connect with from the start.

I agree- connecting immediately is easy when you don't have to contend with all the foundation work that needs to be put into a puppy. ;)