Security Dog Handlers

malinoiswa

Hi guys, just thought I’d start this topic to swap ideas, training advice, and generally chat about this topic. I’ve been a security dog handler for approximately 6 years and also train dogs privately. I have malinois and german shepherds...and two human babies :thumbsup:

Perth now has a legislation requiring security dog handlers to be licensed (which I fully support) so I’ll start the ball rolling with asking for other peoples opinions on this.

Its been a a requirement in NSW for a few years now that to hold a dog handlers security licence you had to

do a recognised course and then apply to have it added to your security Licence

otherwise you couldnt use dogs at work.

not a bad idea if it got the cowboys out of the industry, trouble is if you have the money to get the required insurances and training anybody can apply.

What do the handlers have to do to become licensed dog handlers in WA? I hope the change has been more thoughtful than the one that occurred in NSW several years ago. They added a 1D licence class for security dog handlers as well as several other categories. The problem with the change was they allowed dog handlers who were already working in the role to apply for RPL without them gaining any extra knowledge through undertaking additional training and no testing of a handlers dog is required. I believe there should be a standard which both dogs and handlers should have to pass to become accredited to work in security roles.

Reputable security companies and dog handlers do seek out additional training and have standards which a dog must not fall under but there needs to be an Australian wide standard set for dogs and handlers working in these roles.