Convincing A Person To Desex Their Pet

toy dog

Hi, just wanted suggestions to convince a person to desex their dog after being told by a puppy farmer who *pimps* :laugh: out his males to sire unregistered pups and told these pet people that he makes $15,000 a year doing this. he puts an advert in the trading post. he is not a registered breeder.

they are wondering if they are doing themselves a disservice and putting themselves out of $15,000 a year by getting their dog desexed!!!

I want to choke the guy that came up and told them that, their male dog they have its a BB, has been sold undesexed because of a minor fault not to standard.

i told them that its not as easy as that, and all you'll be attracting is other puppy farmers not interested in breed type and by the time we finish we get breeds not looking like they are supposed to look.

i just wonder who are the people who are breeding their BB when we all know that they are an extremely hard breed they have CS's so its very expensive to breed them. you wouldn't do it to make money because by the time you paid the vet fees and put all that work into making sure the mother doesn't roll on the pups and what not (had a friend who bred her registered BB and went through HELL) so its not easy breeding this breed.

I've almost managed to convince them to desex, they take their dog to the vet in a few days but its been a long haul explaining to them the difference between a puppy farmer and a genuine breeder not out for $$$$$$$$

and it will be AI mind you. the puppy farmer lets the vet come over and they use a machine apparently to extract the semen and then people come along unregistered and use his dogs!!

just need extra reasons why they should desex their dog rather than letting him sire puppies, the dog is under 12 months old so only young.

oh Toy Dog - that is awful! You must have been horrified!

maybe show them all the poor dogs on the rescue thread? or convince them to go to their local shelter to see some of the poor crossbreeds who have ended up on death row? Explain to them how an ethical, registered breeder is prepared to be there for the life of the dog - not just until the sale is completed!

Ask them if they have spoken to their vet about the possible cross bred, BYB dogs that they see in their practice with issues?

oh Toy Dog - that is awful! You must have been horrified!

maybe show them all the poor dogs on the rescue thread? or convince them to go to their local shelter to see some of the poor crossbreeds who have ended up on death row? Explain to them how an ethical, registered breeder is prepared to be there for the life of the dog - not just until the sale is completed!

Ask them if they have spoken to their vet about the possible cross bred, BYB dogs that they see in their practice with issues?

thanks troppo, yes i totally agree, they now understand the perils us breeders go through and she even said to me (quoting me back with my own quotes now which is good :D ) a reputable breeder doesn't need to advertise in the trading post and its so irresponsible. so she knows about some registered breeders being responsible for what they breed and making sure they don't end up in shelters.

I also pushed the shelter issue, i said, thats the reason why we are overpopulated at shelters and why they are full, its because we have puppy farmers like that bloke promoting breeding up of dogs and most don't look after what they breed they certainly wouldn't take back a puppy sold 2-5-7 years later thats for sure. she nodded and understood that.

i just wish that when breeders sell a dog over 6 months that they got them desexed so we don't have people running around wondering if they should breed their pet dog or not :laugh:

a reputable breeder doesn't need to advertise in the trading post and its so irresponsible. so she knows about some registered breeders being responsible for what they breed and making sure they don't end up in shelters.

if reputable breeders don't advertise in places like the trading post where can the public get their nice well bred dogs? As long as the breeder vets all people who approach them for a puppy it doesn't matter where they advertise.

a reputable breeder doesn't need to advertise in the trading post and its so irresponsible. so she knows about some registered breeders being responsible for what they breed and making sure they don't end up in shelters.

if reputable breeders don't advertise in places like the trading post where can the public get their nice well bred dogs? As long as the breeder vets all people who approach them for a puppy it doesn't matter where they advertise.

im not going to get into a debate about this, this is what she is saying back to me its the lady's opinion not completely mine, adding her own little individual bits in which would take all day to correct, not doing that, she has the idea and is learning so thats what matters most, what she is quoting back to me is the bit about it all being irresponsible.

there are also other places you can go to get dogs where breeders advertise? like here on DOL, breed clubs, contact the ANKC, word of mouth several options. and if they dont' know where to go to get well bred dogs as you put it, well then they haven't done enough research then.

this lady's point was: this guy adveritses every week in the paper to lend his dogs out to stud to any breed, his dog is only 2 years old from further enquiry and he earnt $15000 over the life of the dog so far, so he encourages people to breed their crosses and different breeds to his BB. he is not a registered breeder i already asked that question, registered breeders can still do that though under the table, no law or no one stopping them doing it but my way of thinking it is very unethical.

he charges $750 a pop and we worked it out together that he has let people use his dog 20 times or there abouts up until 2 years old so far. I just wonder who the hell are these people that are coming to him, all on the band wagon all making money off their dogs. this is why we have our shelters full. not everyone looks after what they breed, some do but there's not nearly enough breeders that do.

i am writing in point form. every breeder thinks different things we aren't all the same in our thoughts.

Edited by toy dog