Labrador Pulling Washing Off The Clothes Line

Guest kuma

We have a great 18 month old black pure Lab. We have trained her to do all the basic things like, come, sit, lay, fetch, bark on command (talk) and other such things.

Our problem is after doing a few loads of washing and hanging them on the line, only to come home and find that she has pulled things off the line and is sleeping on them on her bed, which is on the deck. She has to literally carry these clothes from the back line, about 15 metres to her bed on the back deck.

When we come home and see it we give a big "Argh naughty girl" and she gets low to the ground and knows she has done the wrong thing.

We have tried giving her old clothing items, leaving them on her bed in case it was a matter of her wanting to smell us when we are not home, she still did it.

We try secretly watching her for hours, to catch her in the act, but she never seems to be in the mood when we are watching.

Also for some reason she seems to prefer my fiancés clothes over mine. While I think this is the comical part of it all, my fiancé doesn’t agree.. lol

She is the only dog we have, but even when we mind a friends Golden lab, our dog will still pull things off the line. So we ruled out boredom as these two play 19 hours of the day when they are together.

Can anybody PLEASE help??

Sorry it’s so long,

Andrew.

We had this problem 15 years ago with our first ACD - just got her over it when next ACD arrived and problem started again. Had a flash of insight and have not had a problem since.

Took down the clothes line and dry things in the clothes dryer. Everyone happy and whilst power bill is more expensive its cheaper than replacing destroyed/damaged washing.

Kuma

telling your dog off when you arrive home is probably not going to help. The dog knows your angry with her but it is doubtul that she will be able to connect your displeasure with her behavior a few hours previous.

If you are willing to spend the money (about $250-300) an electronic containment system (available from Innotek, check out their website) would solve this problem overnight. If you could borrow or rent out such a system it would be even better.

I see your in Sydney - check out www.k9force.net He may be able to help with the rent of such a system.

Edited by pgm

telling your dog off when you arrive home is probably not going to help. The dog knows your angry with her but it is doubtul that she will be able to connect your displeasure with her behavior a few hours previous.

Hello Kuma,

On this I have to agree with pgm (who/whatever he/she is) - for once. :laugh:

My suggestion is, GIVE THE DOG SOMETHING ELSE TO DO!

You don't need electronic "stims" to tell the dog its wrong! Don't put "zillions" into the entrepeneur's pockets! The equipment that is sold (for a big profit) is only for a few, VERY SAD cases. For 'dogs sake - think about it'!!!

Give the dog bones to chew, sandpits to dig and anything else that takes a dog's mind off "destructive" behaviour after all it's BOREDOM, not revenge, that causes the dog to do what we consider destructive! And, when all else fails, do what the Yanks who found out what dogs do when left home alone, use a crate to contain them, if that's what you think a dog needs. Personally, I think a dog needs to be with other canines or, at the very least, humans and not in a backyard bored and lonely!!

How can we possibly attribute revenge to dog behaviour without knowing something of dog psychology??? - "ducking for cover"!

Put yourself in the dog's shoes!

Henrynchlo

(I may be a s***** old f*** but, dogs are worth more than we give ghem credit! )

henrynchlo,

I am curious, who in this thread has described the dog as acting out of revenge?

Nobody!

I just "jumped in" before that word was raised :laugh:

The problem that I see is "human reasoning" being attributed to canine behaviour and the subsequent "profiteering" by certain individuals who lurk on this forum!!

Sorry I said anything! It seems to me that any reasoning on behalf of dogs is slammed by the "know alls"!

Ahh the old washing on the clothesline. There is a very simple solution, don't leave the wash out when the dog is alone in the yard.

If you wonder why he does it and assuming you have covered it that he is well excercised, has lots of stuff to play with, has a kong, bones, a sandpit to dig in. Then he just does cos they are there and good to play with, remove the problem, problem solved.

I had a goat once who did this...think your self lucky...she ate it after she took it off :eek:

:laugh::)

Years ago a dog lived up the road and used to visit each backyard he could get into and rip the washing off the line. One day I came home my wash destroyed, I was just about to go and talk to the dogs owner, cos I had been working really hard with her to contain her dog when I noticed a goat munching away over by the shed :D

If you wonder why he does it and assuming you have covered it that he is well excercised, has lots of stuff to play with, has a kong, bones, a sandpit to dig in. Then he just does cos they are there and good to play with, remove the problem, problem solved.

Hoo **** ray!

At last somebody using some common sense!!!

I might add, some contact with other dogs or humans might sollve the problem even quicker!

Henrynchlo.

:laugh:

Thank you all for your responses. We have been using the dryer 80% of the time, but with the weather we have been haivng, it seemed such a shame.

As for keeping her entertained, she has 1000 toys, bones, room to play, areas to sleep totally protected. She also does it when other dogs are here, so I don't know.

Will just have to stop putting the washing out.

I had hoped for some training tecnique, but seems it doesn't exist.

As for electric shock or caging her, we would never do either, she is part of the family. I know how smart she is, thats what bugs me.

Many thanks.

I'm not sure where I saw it, and it sounds terrible to do it, but fill a plastic bag (maybe a garbage bag) with water and peg it to the line. If the dog bites it to pull it off they get water all over them and the shock is supposed to stop them doing it again. It doesn't hurt them, but gives them a shock! Maybe it's worth trying on a hot day. Of course you never know with a Lab - they might like it! :laugh:

Edited by WendyH

I read some where that seemingly clothes flapping in the wind on a washing line is just TOO much of a temptation for a young dog.... :laugh:

My staffy would constantly take the washing off the line....so in the end we just doubled the washing up on the line so she could not reach it. She was about 2 when she gave up this game.

ps.she had a playmate all day long to way with, toys, sandpit ......

:)

Cheers

Guest angenbear
I'm not sure where I saw it, and it sounds terrible to do it, but fill a plastic bag (maybe a garbage bag) with water and peg it to the line.  If the dog bites it to pull it off they get water all over them and the shock is supposed to stop them doing it again.  It doesn't hurt them, but gives them a shock!  Maybe it's worth trying on a hot day.  Of course you never know with a Lab - they might like it!  :laugh:

The only probably with this solution, if the lab loves water, then he won't mind gettng wet, so there's no shock to it. It would be more like a suprise for him.

My golden retriever also loves to get clothes and carry it to another room. I don't think it's a matter of boredom, I just think they just love carrying anything in their mouth and carrying it to their territory. After all, they are retrievers. You put it there, and they are retrieving it! :)

Perhaps gate the clothes line area?

Edited by angenbear

Dunno if it would work, but if she likes carrying things around in her mouth maybe give her a "clothes alternative" one of those cat climbers? the ones made up of strips of fleecy material (tracky dacks stuff)braided together or one like the fly ball guys use as a motivator sometimes? it is soft, has some weight to it AND you can use it as a pull toy even if it doesnt work!

it would give her something to carry around and play with :) the only problem if you give it to her only before you go out it might be a signal you are leaving :laugh: maybe just give it to her when the washing goes up :D

Jen

The bag of water sounds like a good idea, but she cant walk past a dripping tap without trying to roll in it..

She LOVES water.. So I agree, a bag of water will only make her do it more. We even had to buy her one of those little half claim shell, kiddies pool. After she plays fetch for a few min, she trots off to lay in that for a few minutes, and is ready to go again.

On hot days have actually come home to find her asleep in it, with head resting along the rim. She makes us laugh.. :laugh:

Thanks for the suggestions though.