Becoming A Dog Trainer

yup if you can score a detection job within quarantine, customs, prison, army you're in good money, its all $50-60K plus

I dont really understand where some veterinary behaviourist fees come from. There's good and then there's hoping they teach the dog to poo gold nuggets afterwards for the price

HOW DO YOU GET INTO THIS KIND OF JOB!

would love to do a job i enjoy and get to handle train dogs, i have searched the net, sent emails and they have just sent me useless material about the job role ! :thumbsup:

You generally need experience in working for those departments Nekhbet listed and then apply to become a member of there respective dog units.

i knew that was was needed for police k9 units, but wasn't sure on government sniffer dogs and customs etc.

thanks

depends where you are. In Vic I see prison and AQIS just intaking people in those roles without prior employment there BUT they are senior positions and hence you need the experience and background in something at least similar to justify the pay and the role.

Experience with dogs seems to be the last thing on their minds and I know for AQIS how you handle a dog is not a deciding factor ultimately in your employment. It only helps you get a final interview.

I dont do it full time and I'm not in it for the cash. I know most trainers have another job and do the dog training on the side.

Thanks for sharing Nekhbet. At this stage I don't have time for a side job. I wouldn't be in it for the cash either - which means I have to have enough $ before I can do this :mad

AQIS sounds like a good idea. I like beagles :mad

Not exactly a way to get rich quick. :mad

Indeed. I'm doing it the other way around - get rich quick first then work with dogs :mad.