My Morning Adventure..

W Sibs

this morning, I went to open the front door and the screen door was open, to my shock, Emmy ran out of the house. She rarely ever does that! I can leave my front door open and she will just sit there and wait for me (not something I do on a regular basis though). But, this morning she ran to the front gate of the house and even though my heart was pounding hard and fast, I kept my cool and called out 'Hey Em. Where you going?' she stopped, and just stood there watching me to see what I would do.

I can tell she really wanted to go off, but she was in new territory about running out of the house and going to the gate without me. Something she has never done before and she was very unsure on what she should do next. I can see that she was thinking really hard on what she is going to do. I knew she wanted to go but at the same time, she didn't want to go alone. And, she was waiting for a signal/cue from me to see what I will do.

I knew if I walked out the front door, she will take off because she will think I'm going after her so I just took a step back into the house and calmly called out, "Come. You silly idiot!' and my girl quickly ran back into the house and launched into my arms for cuddles.

I had a millions horrible scenario running through my head of what could of happened but am sooo grateful and happy that she has a very good recall.

before taking her out for a walk this morning, we practise our "wait" at the door. Made her sit there for 2 minutes at the front door waiting, till I gave her permission to come outside.

Also reminded me and the housemate that one of the rules is front flyscreen door must be close at all times!!

That mini heart attack really woke me up!

Edited by CW EW

Guest english.ivy

Good girl Emmy!

Ivy did this twice a couple of weeks ago, but our front door has no wire door and I forgot the wooden door was open and let Ivy in the house, she went up to my room, which is right near the front door and went out to see the rabbit.

I stayed calmed and didn't follow her and cheerfully called her back and then heard the clip clop of her paws on the floorboards, she came right back!! She got a major praise.

I've now learnt, door is open .. dogs stay out.

Lucky for me, the rabbit got her attention and she didn't go too far and we're on a really quiet road.

Get a spring or self closer for the screen door.

And congratulate yourself you've taught a recall and resisted the instinct to chase her!!!

I bet your pulse was racing after that!

Ohhh... that's a good idea!! Will look into that!

And also remember the wait or stay command EVERY TIME you open a door, when the dogs are around, just in case.

Yeah. I've been slack on that just because I thought she was really good with it, but it's a wake up call!!

Edited by CW EW