Homeopathic Remedies

bark

Homeopathic remedies may have their place however they should never replace conventional treatment when it places the life of the patient (be it human or animal at risk) however may have a place in complimenting such treatment.

As RevJo said - there is a lack of independent scientific evidence to demonstrate they work.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Chemists would sell homeopathic remedies if they were codswallop.

I know that they work as my husband took arnica for bruising after an operation, and it healed up much faster than the first, (same operation)he had 12 months before hand.

To bark, who asked the original question, These are my opinions only on this subject, although I have not used homeopathic heartworming, on our dog, I would not be afraid to do so, as my homeopathic practitioner uses them on her dogs with success.

She actually did the homeopathic colledge course, because she wanted to treat her children with them after one of her children had a near fatal reaction to ordinary , vaccines.

lablove

Have you got the entire paper and do you know how to read scientific papers? Just because something is published doesn't mean the study was a good one. There might be real issues with the methods that mean that the study is flawed. I'll have a look around and see if anyone has reviewed that paper.

I know that they work as my husband took arnica for bruising after an operation, and it healed up much faster than the first, (same operation)he had 12 months before hand.

To bark, who asked the original question, These are my opinions only on this subject, although I have not used homeopathic heartworming, on our dog, I would not be afraid to do so, as my homeopathic practitioner uses them on her dogs with success.

She actually did the homeopathic colledge course, because she wanted to treat her children with them after one of her children had a near fatal reaction to ordinary , vaccines.

lablove

Only anecdotal evidence. If homeopathy could be proved effective then large companies would be investing and Randy would be 1 million dollars poorer. How come no one can yet claim the prize?

Chemists are allowed to sell it because it won't be labeled as a medicine. If you look at homeopathic websites you'll also see them being very careful about what they claim. If your child had meningitis would you prefer a homeopathic remedy or conventional medicine? Surely if homeopathy works you'd have no hesitation in doing so right?

although I have not used homeopathic heartworming, on our dog, I would not be afraid to do so, as my homeopathic practitioner uses them on her dogs with success.

She could give them tea with two sugars and have the same success, heartworm isn't a problem in S.A.

What is in it? I studied homoeopathy and made homoeopathics for years. Never heard of something to prevent this one. Would I give it to my dogs? No more so than a gin and tonic to stop malaria.

Homeopathy should not be classed as an alternative medicine and I feel it is important to give people both sides, especially when they are putting their animals at risk on the anecdotal word of someone else.

Well, if it was proven to work, it wouldn't be called alternative medicine - it would just be called medicine. :D

For every paper you post from a low impact journal claiming it works I can find a review from a higher impact journal finding that it doesn't. This one was chosen at random, I could find a more recent one if I put in more effort.

Ernst, E. (2002), A systematic review of systematic reviews of homeopathy. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, 54: 577–582.

Abstract

Homeopathy remains one of the most controversial subjects in therapeutics. This article is an attempt to clarify its effectiveness based on recent systematic reviews. Electronic databases were searched for systematic reviews/meta-analysis on the subject. Seventeen articles fulfilled the inclusion/exclusion criteria. Six of them related to re-analyses of one landmark meta-analysis. Collectively they implied that the overall positive result of this meta-analysis is not supported by a critical analysis of the data. Eleven independent systematic reviews were located. Collectively they failed to provide strong evidence in favour of homeopathy. In particular, there was no condition which responds convincingly better to homeopathic treatment than to placebo or other control interventions. Similarly, there was no homeopathic remedy that was demonstrated to yield clinical effects that are convincingly different from placebo. It is concluded that the best clinical evidence for homeopathy available to date does not warrant positive recommendations for its use in clinical practice.

Miranda I'm very happy to know that heartworm isn't a problem in SA, thanks for that.

Reverand Jo I wouldnt be here today if it wasn't for a natural cure.

Raz don't you do homeopathy anymore?

Nup. Stopped using it decades ago and I was convinced it was all witch doctor crap when people on here kept spouting off about vitamin c to slow down snake envenomation. Use conventional medicine for your dogs or just the hippy shit vibration of your mind - or better still...conventional medicine. Dont fart ass around. If you're not prepared to go hard core and put up with the consequences, dont do it

Edited by raz

Miranda I'm very happy to know that heartworm isn't a problem in SA, thanks for that.

Reverand Jo I wouldnt be here today if it wasn't for a natural cure.

You can't claim that because with whatever happened to you wasn't controlled and tested. Any number of things could have saved your life. That is why we never make claims in science unless we test under strict conditions. I'm not saying that there aren't any alternative medicines that are useful, I'm not. BUT, homeopathy actually comes from the realm of faith, that is what the originator of the practice stated. When you were hitting that vial of water you actually had to invoke some spiritual thingie or other :D But by all means drink your poo water (don't forget water has a memory and animals poo in water :clap: ) but don't make claims that might endanger others. Homeopathy isn't even near being a natural remedy because you cannot detect anything in the water. If I go eat a ginger biscuit when not feeling well I know there is ginger in it! I eat salt when my BP is down and I can prove the salt is really salt.

Hey Reverand jo there are people out there that believe in god, but have they seen him.

Yes that's true. I havent seen god. No I dont believe in him. I have seen how homoeopathics are made because I've made them myself - I believe in god more.

arnica isn't homeopathic. Homeopathic solutions are a little bit of an active ingredient mixed with water (because water has memory). So homeopathic arnica would be 1 part arnica, 10000 parts water.

People often confuse homeopathic with natural.

Megan I bought the Arnica pillules for bruising from our homeopath,for after the operation, I thought that they were homeopathic, she must do natural as well then.

But how do you know it was the arnica which did this? Perhaps, because it was a repeat operation, there was not as much trauma which gave rise to the bruising or other internal factors were at play which sped up the body's repair process?

Yes, arnica isn't homeopathic, it's merely a herb. Many herbs and plant extracts have been tested & found to work and are now a part of conventional medicine - look at aspirin, digitalis, morphine, cinchona (quinine), etc.

If you diluted the arnica until there were only a few molecules of it left and then it worked better, that would be more akin to homeopathy.

On a marginally related note... I think I love

Edited by Staranais

Yes, arnica isn't homeopathic, it's merely a herb.

:rofl:

A remedy is homoeopathic it was prescribed in a homoeopathic way (so to say). As I have already tried to explain before: homoeopathy means "similar disease" so when a remedy given is able to produce the same symptoms a patient has THAN (and only than) you can call it homoeopathic. Otherwise it's a diluted remedy but that has nothing to do with homoeopathy. This is independent of the concentration or dilution a remedy has. The word 'homoeopathic' is used a bit too frequent for diluted herbal medicines (or even worse: mixtures of different ones)... :)

Therefore, Arnika IS a hom. remedy if prescribed that way but otherwise it's a herbal medicine.