Help!

Grey

Hi dolers :laugh:

I'm back again asking for advice!

*deep breath*

my dog (3 yo female desexed gsd) can be classed as dog aggressive, although the majority of the problem begins with her manners and progresses as other dogs respond unfavourably. We have never had to deal with living next door to other dogs so far, and we attend dog school every week and are currently dealing with her approach to other dogs - slowly but surely.

For the last month or so the neighbour behind us (whose backyard corner backs onto a portion of back fence) has had a small jack russell. initially this has been no problem, they have barked and snuffled through the fence at eachother, but no great issues. A cpl of weeks ago his dog escaped down the driveway and rushed my dog (totally in a friendly way, but rudely rushing nonetheless) while we were starting our walk. Skylla (my dog) was very unhappy about this and the bloke finally came over to get his dog and offered for the two to meet while holding it out at head level towards my girl and I frantically corrected her and tried to explain simultaneously this was not a good idea.

Within the last week this bloke has had a friend move in with another jack russell, and now his dog (aside from barking constantly when they are out which i really am not that worried about, dogs bark, and i know skylla prob does as well from time to time if a possum appears) is at the fenceline digging, so of course skylla is at the fenceline digging and barking at eachother. We are in the process of blocking off the bottom of the fence so they cannot get to eachother, but this morning, whilst other half was putting tiles down to block the 2-3 cm gap created the new neighbour launches in with how he will 'neck' my dog if she digs through to his dog.

I can understand being protective of your dog, but where do I stand if his dog gets into our yard and something horrible happens - if we are not home or fast enough to stop it? I have contacted a trainer to discuss how to get Skylla to stop barking and scrabbling, will ask at dog school this week and also am looking into an ecollar. I am beside myself at the thought of her hurting another animal. The neighbour is also shoring up his fence, but of course the mind runs rampant with scenarios.

Currently we are keeping Skylla mainly inside to prevent any incident, but do any of you guys have any suggestions?

thanks so much in advance :rofl:

A couple of things you can do initially:

Create an 'apron' on the fence. Using strong mesh (rural fencing mesh is good), reo or 'sheep yard fencing' (which is strong mesh which comes in sheets 6m long and 70cm wide) etc, lay it out along the fence on the ground, attaching it along the bottom of the fence (so it cant come away). Weight it down well with rocks, tent pegs or dig it in at an angle sloping away from the fence and cover it with dirt. this will prevent the dog digging under all along the fence and is a better/safer option than just patching here and there.

Create a separate temporary fence about 1m or so back from the boundary fence. This will prevent the dogs meeting up either side of the fence and egging each other on etc. Making sure they cant see each other is good too - fixing shadecloth or weed matting to the fence can help.

I have contacted a trainer to discuss how to get Skylla to stop barking and scrabbling, will ask at dog school this week and also am looking into an ecollar.

Whilst these things do show you're serious.. what you DO need is a good professional to work with you at home .Not just discuss ...and please do not even think about an e collar without having a professional see your dog and the problems you mentioned !!

yes, you do need a second fence ..not just tiles and stuff blocking holes :laugh: ,and you will get some good ideas from folks here who have done the same .

Edited by persephone