Recommendation For Trainer

Jed is now 11 months and I'm still having considerable trouble with him becoming aggressive towards my male cat (he's OK with our female).

Admittedly the cat usually makes the 1st move and snarls and claws out at Jed....as in this afternoon when I opened the side door to let said cat into the kitchen. Jed stuck his nose around the door and cat clawed, hissed and snarled! Jed chases Pudicus barking, growling and lunging aggressively ...almost cornering him but fortunately cat got away.

My 11 year olds crying and I'm frozen thinking he's going to kill the cat!!

Our cats are precious to us also and I would appreciate advice.

Jed can access all areas of the house except where the cats eat. He sleeps on my bed but I have him on a long lead so if the cats sleep on the bed also he can't chase them if animosity breaks out. I am wondering if allowing him access to all parts of the house is causing issues also. Perhaps the cats should be the only ones to sleep on my bed? Perhaps they should have sole access to the kitchen and my bedroom which run off from each other so they have a safe area?

Will changing the boundary rules adversly affect or confuse Jed?

Looking forward to some advice

Edited by shyfig

Jed is now 11 months and I'm still having considerable trouble with him becoming aggressive towards my male cat (he's OK with our female).

Admittedly the cat usually makes the 1st move and snarls and claws out at Jed....as in this afternoon when I opened the side door to let said cat into the kitchen. Jed stuck his nose around the door and cat clawed, hissed and snarled! Jed chases Pudicus barking, growling and lunging aggressively ...almost cornering him but fortunately cat got away.

Jed can access all areas of the house except where the cats eat. He sleeps on my bed but I have him on a long lead so if the cats sleep on the bed also he can't chase them if animosity breaks out. I am wondering if allowing him access to all parts of the house is causing issues also. Perhaps the cats should be the only ones to sleep on my bed? Perhaps they should have sole access to the kitchen and my bedroom which run off from each other so they have a safe area?

The easiest way is to seperate them. Changing those rules won't confuse Jed. He may object/complain initially, but you make the rules so he just has to suck it up.

If you want them to co-exist then you should probably refer to an experiences behavioural professional - no doubt you will get recommendations from others.

FTR - My BC's and cats are never left unsupervised and ANY nastiness or sideways look from either cats or dogs is cause for seperation. The cats are just too small and precious to risk an altercation.

I have simular issues with my Kelpie pup and the cats. He is not agressive but he is pushy and it wouldn't take much given we have 3 dogs (all herding types) and 2 cats, for things to get out of hand very quickly. I have taught him a "leave the cat!" command for when I am around to supervise and he now responds very well to this, but I would never allow the whole crew to be unsupervised. When I can't supervise, either the cats or the dogs are separated and yes, they have different sections of the house. Sometimes the crate can be your best friend :laugh:

From what you've written, your male cat did feel threatened and gave what he thought was an appropriate defensive response. Maybe set up some rules - if you are letting the cat into the room, the dog needs to be lying down on his mat or in his crate if you don't have that level of control. I guess you could also teach an emergency stop - that said, I don't know your capabilities as a trainer or your dog's level of aggression. You really need a professional to assess that.

My pup is just over 6 months old - she is not aggressive but she is very active and could certainly frighten the cats. One of my cats loves to wrestle the dogs but my 2 girls are quiet and gentle and only one will swipe if pushed. I have a baby gate set up on the hallway so pup can only access the living areas (which also keeps her out of mischief) and the cats have all the bedrooms to retreat to if they feel pressured. I followed the same process when my now adult Dalmatian came home as a pup and they all get on famously now. I always teach the cats their "escape options" - over the baby gate, up the big scratching tower or on the table (teach them "up" and to come to their name). Pup and adult dog both sleep in our bedroom but in their own crates. The bed is for cats (and us). In my house cats have right of way at all times but they are not allowed to bully. Pup knows which cat she can play with and which cats she needs to give way to - if she forgets I only need to remind her verbally. I do a lot of training with my dogs which I find helps for manners in the house. I happily leave my Dally with the cats all day, although pup is in a large crate - more to allow the Dally to get some sleep than anything.

I would look at limiting your young dog's environment with baby gates, LOTS of training (he is an adolescent now, which can be a more challenging phase), age appropriate exercise and a crate when you can't supervise. You must be there to protect all parties at the moment and a crate is a great option when you can't be. Getting to the point where your young child is so upset and you are frozen in fear of what might happen is not good for anyone. You may well need to engage a trainer who can show you how to train your dog.

Judith, I agree with TSD

I really think you need to get some professional help with Jed. Reading your other posts, it sounds like you have had a few issues with him & that the problems between him & your male cat are escalating.

Jed has not yet hit maturity. I think it would be wise to get a few things ironed out before he does.

Where are you located? Maybe we could suggest someone?

Are you doing any Formal training with him? Tricks or sports could also help build your leadership skills with him.

Edited by Vickie

Judith, I agree with TSD.

OK

I really think you need to get some professional help with Jed. Reading your other posts, it sounds like you have had a few issues with him & that the problems between him & your male cat are escalating.

I agree

Jed has not yet hit maturity. I think it would be wise to get a few things ironed out before he does.

OK

Where are you located? Maybe we could suggest someone?

Tenterfield Northern NSW

Are you doing any Formal training with him? Tricks or sports could also help build your leadership skills with him.

No formal training...basic obedience. Tricks would be ideal I know and unfortunately sports etc are not convenient as most centres are to far away :(

The easiest way is to seperate them. Changing those rules won't confuse Jed. He may object/complain initially, but you make the rules so he just has to suck it up.

If you want them to co-exist then you should probably refer to an experiences behavioural professional - no doubt you will get recommendations from others.

FTR - My BC's and cats are never left unsupervised and ANY nastiness or sideways look from either cats or dogs is cause for seperation. The cats are just too small and precious to risk an altercation.

I agree with the separating....will be making some boundary changes inside the house over the weekend.

A behaviouralist would be welcome....we are fairly isolated in Tenterfield (Northern NSW) unfortunately so I don't know if I would be able to get some one to travel.

My cats and dog are only left unsupervised if I go to shops or out briefly. I am a stay at home mum/carer and if I am away for longer periods someone else is here looking after my boys. They are all schooled at home through Distance Ed.

Funnily enough Jed and Pudicus can sleep only feet away from each other on the front lawn waiting for me to come home if I have been out. So far no altercations outside :(

I have simular issues with my Kelpie pup and the cats. He is not agressive but he is pushy and it wouldn't take much given we have 3 dogs (all herding types) and 2 cats, for things to get out of hand very quickly. I have taught him a "leave the cat!" command for when I am around to supervise and he now responds very well to this, but I would never allow the whole crew to be unsupervised. When I can't supervise, either the cats or the dogs are separated and yes, they have different sections of the house. Sometimes the crate can be your best friend :(

I actually have taught Jed "Back" and he knows that he has to go out of the kitchen onto the loungeroom carpet. He can still see the kitchen door that the cats come in but he is a good 20 ft away from it. When the altercation happened I had been distracted and didn't see Jed get off the carpet and sneak up just behind me. It's an open plan lounge/kitchen so there are no doors to shut or doorways to barrier. I do have a wireless indoor boundary corrector which works off Jeds collar (we have a hidden fence) which has kept him out of 1/3 kitchen where the cats eat....so will now use this to separate him from entire kitchen and entry to my bedroom.

I would probably also describe Jed as pushy rather than agressive.

The bed is for cats (and us). In my house cats have right of way at all times but they are not allowed to bully.

I think this is spot on advice for me! Unfortunately teaching my male cat not to bully is not easy and I also have to protect Jed from damage he may inflict.

You may well need to engage a trainer who can show you how to train your dog.

Most definately agree regarding this problem

It would be really helpful if anyone could recommend a professional to help as so many of you suggested. Remembering I am in Tenterfield in Northern NSW :thumbsup:

Edited by shyfig

It would be really helpful if anyone could recommend a professional to help as so many of you suggested. Remembering I am in Tenterfield in Northern NSW :thumbsup:

shyfig, I suggest you change the sub-title of your topic to attract someone who can recommend a trainer. If you're not sure how to do it, click on the "Edit" feature on the bottom right hand corner of your original post and select "Full Edit", which will also allow you to change the sub-title (perhaps put "recommendation for trainer, Tenterfield, NSW" or similar) :thumbsup:

shyfig, I suggest you change the sub-title of your topic to attract someone who can recommend a trainer. If you're not sure how to do it, click on the "Edit" feature on the bottom right hand corner of your original post and select "Full Edit", which will also allow you to change the sub-title (perhaps put "recommendation for trainer, Tenterfield, NSW" or similar) :thumbsup:

Thanks for your advice spotted devil...have done as you suggested.