Uta Bindels March 2011 Seminar

Well Hi Everyone,

I've just spent the last 2 days enjoying a terrific event organised by Advanced Dog Skills Australia.

Uta is a most expert and accomplished hands on trainer. I met another Dogzonline lister; "Perfect Partners" and it was fantastic to get to know a cyber-friend in the flesh (if you know what I mean). "Megan" was there also - she was working with her gorgeous dog and making it look really easy! The main points I picked up were MARK right and wrong behavours, break down obedience exercises into segments and don't teach entire exercises. Every time a new element is introduce make all the other elements easier. Eg if the dog can do 30 steps of focussed heeling with the "food hand" and you take the food hand away and start rewarding randomly then reduce the steps to about 3 and build it up again.

Was anyone else there from DOL?

luvsablue

Thanks- fergs does well despite my handling!

For me the biggest lesson was to take things very slowly. Get the foundations right and proofed before moving on- make haste slowly. Don't be afraid to go back to the basics if you dog is making small mistakes. And finally, have fun with your dog!

My boy was (and still is) the little black cross breed with the mowhawk. He looks a lot like a mini schnauzer, but has poodle legs.

Did your dog come too?

Hi megan. Now I know who you are. I didn't have my dog there, but I was sitting on the tree talking to you about Fergus at lunch time yesterday. I thought that might have been who you were but wasn't sure. Fergus is very cute and worked so well.

• 2 weeks later...
Well Hi Everyone,

I've just spent the last 2 days enjoying a terrific event organised by Advanced Dog Skills Australia.

Uta is a most expert and accomplished hands on trainer. I met another Dogzonline lister; "Perfect Partners" and it was fantastic to get to know a cyber-friend in the flesh (if you know what I mean). "Megan" was there also - she was working with her gorgeous dog and making it look really easy! The main points I picked up were MARK right and wrong behavours, break down obedience exercises into segments and don't teach entire exercises. Every time a new element is introduce make all the other elements easier. Eg if the dog can do 30 steps of focussed heeling with the "food hand" and you take the food hand away and start rewarding randomly then reduce the steps to about 3 and build it up again.

Was anyone else there from DOL?

luvsablue

It is very pleasing to see so many people from the ANKC world participate in seminars conducted by high profile IPO/ Schutzhund competitors.

The string of seminars by Uta in Melb as well as the recent Mia Skogster seminar up in Brisbane has certainly left a positive mark on people.

Hopefully, over time this country will realise the benefits the sport of IPO/ Schutzhund can offer, especially in regards to the proper temperament testing of working breeds.

It is very pleasing to see so many people from the ANKC world participate in seminars conducted by high profile IPO/ Schutzhund competitors.

The string of seminars by Uta in Melb as well as the recent Mia Skogster seminar up in Brisbane has certainly left a positive mark on people.

Hopefully, over time this country will realise the benefits the sport of IPO/ Schutzhund can offer, especially in regards to the proper temperament testing of working breeds.

+1