Submissive.. Maybe?

spitzbaby

Hi..

I have been wondering about how some dogs react to another dog trying to hump them. There are some that will probably get aggressive but I want to ask about those that does nothing.

So here comes a dog trying to hump him, from whichever direction, he'll just do nothing. No whine, no growl.. And even if he's on the ground, doesn't seem to be putting effort to get up, he'll just stay like that.

I'm happy to read any articles on it if you can point out some.

:(

Eta: I forgot my question. Is this a submissive behavior?

Edited by spitzbaby

Charlie does not let any dog near his back. Understandable. If a dog comes closer... Charlie will end up sitting on our feet so the dog can't go near his back. he doesn't mind if they sniff him but that's only if he can still see their body.

Emmy will tell the dog off if they try to hump her. She doesn't put up with it. She just bump them away... if they don't get the picture, she will add in a growl and bark with that bump, and usually the dog gets the picture. If they don't, I will step in.

I think it's a submissive behaviour...

Hi..

I have been wondering about how some dogs react to another dog trying to hump them. There are some that will probably get aggressive but I want to ask about those that does nothing.

So here comes a dog trying to hump him, from whichever direction, he'll just do nothing. No whine, no growl.. And even if he's on the ground, doesn't seem to be putting effort to get up, he'll just stay like that.

I'm happy to read any articles on it if you can point out some.

:laugh:

Eta: I forgot my question. Is this a submissive behavior?

Yep same with my girl. She will look at me to remove the dog. She knows its up to me, not her to get rid of the dog. I would remove the humping dog as soon as possible, as it is not really good for your dog, and even though he is not showing any aggressive behaviour now, he might develop it if he gets really annoyed.

I really can't stand humping dogs though. Its dangerous, though many owners think its funny.

There are different reasons why dogs will hump- excitement, frustration, dominance, it feels good to them, sexual etc

I think dog are more likely to try and hump a submissive dog as they know they will be able to get away with it.

Yep same with my girl. She will look at me to remove the dog. She knows its up to me, not her to get rid of the dog. I would remove the humping dog as soon as possible, as it is not really good for your dog, and even though he is not showing any aggressive behaviour now, he might develop it if he gets really annoyed.

I really can't stand humping dogs though. Its dangerous, though many owners think its funny.

There are different reasons why dogs will hump- excitement, frustration, dominance, it feels good to them, sexual etc

I think dog are more likely to try and hump a submissive dog as they know they will be able to get away with it.

I definitely don't like humping dogs either :cheer: and will definitely remove them upon sight. Will be very annoyed at those who think humping my dog is funny :laugh:

I'm just wondering whether this is something that needs works on.. and what I can do for it..

CW EW: do you know if it is more desirable that the dog tells them off or just stay put and asks us to help?

One of mine doesn't tolerate humping and the other does. I don't mind either way, I don't know why either reaction would be a problem? If there is a particularly humpy dog around, I just leave.

In my experience the dogs that get humped the most are either 'middle of the pack' dogs (not the most submissive and not the most dominant) or adolescent males.

Guest english.ivy

No one messes with Ivy. If a dog tries to hump her she growls/snarls but they very rarely try. She humps my OHs younger lab when that lab is playing tug-o-war with Badger. I guess as she's not strong enough to play rough with the larger boys so she thinks humping is a better way to assert herself? She always gets balled over anyway, the boys weigh twice as much as she does.

and no can reach Badger to hump him cause he's too tall :laugh:

I prefer them not to retaliate strongly either. My boy who won't put up with it doesn't retaliate -- his usual reaction is to turn around and try to engage them in play, or turn around and walk away :laugh:

Edited by wuffles

I definitely don't like humping dogs either :cheer: and will definitely remove them upon sight. Will be very annoyed at those who think humping my dog is funny :laugh:

I'm just wondering whether this is something that needs works on.. and what I can do for it..

CW EW: do you know if it is more desirable that the dog tells them off or just stay put and asks us to help?

No I don't but I think it all depends on how your dog tell other dogs off.

I like that Emmy let the other dog know she doesn't like it and gives them a bump. She's not aggressive about it, just bump to let them know she doesn't like it. A bark and growl warning if they didn't get the picture and when she does that, that's when I step in and quickly stop the behaviour from the other dog - i do not care if the dogs owner gets mad at me, my priority is Emmy - and then Emmy and I walk away.

Charlie doesn't bother fighting them off. He knows physically he can't, so I like that he comes to me for protection.

Saying this, it's very rare that either Charlie or Emmy gets humped.

Edited by CW EW

One of my dogs humps the other. To me, it is a displacement behaviour. He only does it to his brother and he does it when he's uncertain. I stop him because he tends to get obsessive about things like that. The other dog doesn't care at all. I don't think that means he's submissive. It just means he doesn't care if a dog humps him.

Humping is usually seen when dogs (especially pups) get a bit excited eg meeting new dogs at the dog park or club, sometimes after being revved up from chasing another dog or a toy. They generally don't know what to do with themselves so they hump. As Corvus said it is a displacement behaviour. It is not often about dominance. A dog humping from excitement will hump any other dog in any manner, front, side, rear and there is usually thrusting.

Some dogs don't care when they're humped, others will discipline the humper with an air snap or growl. Sometimes they'll even be chased off. If a dog has pain issues or space issues it is less likely to tolerate a dog attempting to hump it. A serial humper is a real pain in the neck that can be very annoying to other dogs as well as humans.

My toy poodle had a stuffed toy he used to hump but it was generally after he'd been overstimulated in some way. He'd growl, bite, shake and kill the wombat and then hump it!! Sometimes found him slumped over it in exhaustion!

Edited by Jigsaw

Puppies usually are very tolerant of what older dogs want to do, they are 'worms' and the older dog is 'god'. My puppy lets my adult dog do whatever she wants, and she is quite rude at times, so it's up to me to stop her when she gets too rough and tries to grab legs and tail or hump him.

I wouldn't allow another dog to hump my dog, it's rude.

I really don't have a problem with dogs humping, so long as the one being humped is not a pup (still growing) and doesn't have a problem with it. Sometimes its excitement, other times it is a displacement behaviour. At times, with multiple girls on heat it is just instinct.

Abby sits down if she doesn't want to be humped, Safire initiates play to distract the other dog, Demi will accept it for a while then growl- they all have coping mechanisms and if they start to initiate them I will remove the offending dog. Other times they will all quite happily stand there so I don't intervene. Abby will even try to get a dog to hump her if she likes the dog!! She would be disappointed if I stopped it after all her hard efforts to make it happen lol.

I guess its about knowing your own dog, and making sure they are comfortable.

The one trying to hump is a young puppy, I think about 4 months old. He only humps Kairu and none of the other dog there.

My initial thought was he wanted to hump dogs that are smaller than him in size but he leaves other smaller ones and only goes after Kairu.

I do know the owner of the dog so it could possibly be because he knows Kairu more than the other dogs but I'm not too sure.

This is both dogs being a male dog and I'm quite certain Kairu doesn't welcome the hump.

ETA: Corvus, what does it mean by displacement behaviour?

Edited by spitzbaby

ETA: Corvus, what does it mean by displacement behaviour?

It's like when people play with their hair or touch their face when talking. It usually tells you they are not entirely comfortable. Dogs have a range of behaviours they do when they are not entirely comfortable. Sniffing the ground, tongue flicking sometimes, Erik pokes things with his nose, that kind of thing. I equate it to that feeling you get when you feel like you need to do something but there's nothing really to do. Or if someone yells at you and you disengage from them by looking at something else or stirring your coffee. It's a way to reduce the internal conflict you're feeling.

My dog just sits down and then tries to play with the other dog. Generally then the other dog will stop but if the didn't I would step in.

My dog is 7 months old and he has tried to hump a few dogs, maybe about 4 other dogs out of the many that he has met, I always tell him to stop and he stops when I tell him too. All the dogs he has tried to hump have been male as well.

This is a bit off topic but when he was younger, from 8 weeks, and occasionally now, he will scrunch up his bedding or blankets and hump that, does anyone know why that would be?