Breeding For The First Time

avalanches

just need some advice about breeding not so worried about breeding but worried about screening puppy buyers as how to find the right people that will love the puppy and will give them proper care and hope that none of the pups end up in the pound any one can help on this topic thanks Steve

I always talk to the new owners on the phone if I am not able to meet them - I ask several questions but so many volunteer so much information if genuine - I send emails and photos all through the 8 or 9 weeks. So many in fact nearly all my puppy buyers are past poodle owners and tell me so much about their lost pet etc. you get a feel for them by talking and seeing the replies that come back from the photos and emails you send - somehow you just get a feeling for the right people - not been dissapointed yet - I tell all my new owners to be that it is usually a 16 year commitment so do everything you can to make sure its what you want - also if people are willing to wait 8 or sometimes more weeks for the right puppy they are pretty genuine. Also always put in my paperwork that if for any reason they are unable to keep their puppy or dog to contact me to help to find a new home.

As with a lot of things in life there is no 100% guarantee but if you put the time in to communicate with them you usually get the gut feeling if its a go or a no - emails that just ask for price are answered but look at these very carefully. If they live within a reasonable distance I like them to call around and and meet all the dogs.

Good luck with your babies.

Same as Mini's reply above.

Having a toy breed I desex at around 11 weeks, I am comfortable with this choice, so that knocks out any puppy farm breeding from them. Also have a microchip put in & put yourself as the 2nd contact on the form. I also make a note on the top of the microchip form that if they end up in a rescue or pound situation that I offer a lifetime re home.

It is the worst bit parting with the puppies, even though they go home with lovely people.

I still always have a :laugh: when the last one goes.