Not Feeding Your Dog One Day A Week

jacqui835

Wow I forgot to the feed the dog one day and OMG the evil look I got when it was time to head to bed. Im thinking what ....... Oh food and suddenly had normal happy dog again. DIfferent when she got sick but that one time I just forgot...

Dogs in the wild grow up not eating everyday so not sure what it achieves by suddenly imposing a food free day to a domestic one thats used to its regular meals (different if food is put down ignored and taken away again when retraning a fussy eater not to eb fussy as dog is offered food at a meal time)

Edited by rubiton

Our dogs have always been on 3 meals x day. (That's what we choose to do and have found it very good for their well-being)

The 2 girls (we've had them since puppyhood @ 8-10 weeks) are very relaxed about their meals. They seem to know that another meal is happening soon and sometimes choose to miss lunch.

KY joined the family at 2yo. He is a complete glutton. He will eat everything that is available whenever it's available. I think he could easily make himself sick. He is also the first to 'notice' that brekkie/lunch/dinner are being served.

So......

Does knowing that there is always food available matter/shape the dog?

Does missing one day feed create a perception, in a dog's mind, that there may not be another feed for a while?

Edited by HonBun