Just Diagnosed With Sas

Hi,

We went to the cardiologist today to check for Bobbi's heart murmur. The vet did an ultrasound and ECG, came back to us with a severe case of SAS :eek:

He said that her condition is rare because it's usually found in larger breeds. She also have some other condition as a result of the SAS, and because her heart rate is very low he doesn't recommend giving her the usual beta blocker. Instead, he prescribed Sotalol as a milder alternative.

There's nothing we can do apart from giving her lots of love and making sure that her life quality is good. We don't really give her any exercise since her usual vet told me that she's got a heart murmur and she doesn't eat any fatty treats.

She is 15 months old now and the cardiologist said that in large breeds, around 70% of the dog can survive to 3 years and the rest survives longer. We're not due for another visit to the cardiologist until the end of the year so he can monitor her progress. Does anyone have an experience with SAS in smaller dogs?

Sorry I don't have experience with that condition. But I just wanted to say that sucks. I love mini schnauzers. Your poor little bubba. I hope she does well on the medicine and lives as long a life as possible.

I'm sorry to hear that. :)

Can you get in touch with her breeder you bought her from? I'm pretty sure it's genetic, and if that's the case, maybe that's why they wanted to rehome this dog? Either way, the breeder needs to know about it, so they don't knowingly breed dogs with this again.

The outcome for severe cases isn't so good. :)

Edited by Cazablanca

Thanks everyone, it's been a horrible couple of weeks :) I've sent an email to the breeder the first time she was diagnosed with a heart murmur, I also ask for her complete medical history to be sent to me but no reply until now. I will phone the breeder this weekend, but I feel that looking at the condition - they should already be in touch with me by now.

I went to the pharmacy yesterday with the prescription and they told me that it won't be ready until sometime next week because they need to break up the individual tablets into smaller parts and put it in capsules. I'm not sure if it's normal, but I feel so frustrated now...I just want her to get her medication as soon as possible :rofl:

At least I can take comfort knowing that she doesn't feel any pain :D