Cortisone

cavvysavvy

I know that cortisone makes dogs drink a lot of water, but does it also make them a bit hungrier also?

My dog was prescribed some yesterday and he seemed to have a hearty appetite last night....

Could be coincidence, but just thought i would ask about

Just keep in mind that although it increases appetite, they do not need more food! Always have plenty of water available.

Absolutely!!!! No extra food or treats, and definately always plenty of fresh water for the little fella :thumbsup:

My last dog was on cortisone long term and never went near other dog's poo so I would not get too worried.

But yes, they will drink more and as a result - urinate more.

Also its not uncommon to see them sleep more and also pant more.

Edited by Danois

My last dog was on cortisone long term and never went near other dog's poo so I would not get too worried.

But yes, they will drink more and as a result - urinate more.

Also its not uncommon to see them sleep more and also pant more.

Yes He is sleeping a lot more for sure!

Thanks for the advice :thumbsup:

I'm glad I popped in on this thread. My poor Em has just had to go on cortisone (she's diabetic so there's a myriad of problems that it can cause), and I thought she was sleeping more and drinking a bit more, but I can tell her BSL's are still good. So you given me good explanation for some things I thought I was seeing!! Thanks!!

My own "big" brown dog (5.5kg)has just started on prednisolone too. I haven't seen him drinking more water, but he has been stirring earlier in the morning. The first thing he does in the morning is shoot outside for a pee, so I assume he is drinking more. I've just split their meals in two to try to avoid any fights over food from being 'hungry'. Our food situation is usually very well controlled, but since they once had a fight over a tiny lizard, I don't want to take any chances

Edited by Rappie