Why Do Dogs Go Crazy After Having A Bath?

jacqui835

Says who? Kevin Behan knows better than behaviourists, does he? When my dog feels safe after being frightened, he licks his lips, yawns, makes soft little barking sounds, and walks in circles. In short, he finds non-confrontational activities to calm himself down. If he is still wound up he will run at the thing that scared him and bark at it, but pull up well short and come back to us. Running around like a nutter is pretty much the polar opposite of this, and he only ever does it when he's excited in a positive way, i.e. we have come home, he has been having a good play session with the other dog. Certainly, it is a behaviour that only occurs when he is highly aroused, and certainly, a bit of stress when it is removed can create the conditions where he might run around like a loony, but the conditions don't occur every time he feels safe. Only when he feels safe AND is in a playful state AND is very aroused.

I only found this after googling - dogs and zoomies, I believe your views mirror that of a lot who replied to his post on the supplied link. Just thought it was an interesting take on it. Our boy doesn't zoom after baths but has for no reason identifiable at the time started to run around the living room two or three times then stop. This has probably occured 2 of 3 times since we've had him and always wondered what could have sparked it.

Edited by Fatsofatsoman

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only ever seen it in wet dogs or those who have just had a rough towel dry, so thought it was because they want to dry off?

When I bath my dogs they are always blow dryed and don't have zoomies

Thats what I thought too (to take the weight of the water off).