Puppy Pooing More At Night Then In The Day!

Nadine83

Our puppy is 10 weeks old. Now before I start I want to mention that I don't expect her to go all night without toileting.

The first night she woke around 3-4 times, 2nd and 3rd nights she held on for 6.5hrs both nights! The next 4 nights she woke once, Saturday night she went 6.5hrs again. And last night she was put out at 11pm (like usual) and then woke at 1am, 2am, 3:30am. All times doing a poo and wee.

We are in the process of changing the brand of her food over (from pedigree to Advance). Could this be the cause of it?

Also, her last feed is at 8pm. Should we make it earlier? She tends to leave most of her pooing for at night!

Her poos vary in consistency buy the majority of the time it's softer. We were hoping the change of food would help her stools to firm up and hopefully make her need to poo less (better quality food). She is also eating grass at times. What does this mean?

ETA she also tends to squat a while before she can do anything and changes spots frequently during that pooping session. But her poo isn't firm.....

Edited by Nadine83

sorry i dont really know, i feed my pup at about 6 pm she then poos about 9 pm ish when we go to bed, then doesnt poo again till 4.30 am when i get up for work :laugh: i think maybe the change in diet could have caused that, maybe you need to make it more of the original food for a while, and make it a slower transition :laugh:

my dogs eat grass, pple told me they have an upset tummy :eat: i dont really know if thats true

I usually take about 1-2 weeks to change over food. Starting with just a few bits of the new stuff for a day or 2, moving to about 1/4 new 3/4 old for 3-4 days, 1/2 1/2 for 3-4 days, then 3/4 new 1/4 old for 3-4 days. I just find a slower change has less potential for problems than a change that is too fast!

As for going to the toilet during the night so much, I think it could be a combination of the new food and also the late dinner time. My girls get fed between 6-7pm and the last time they go out to the toilet is about 11pm. unless there's an upset tummy or if Em's BSL's are out we don't get up again til morning (of course they're grown ups too!). When Kenzie was a pup she still only woke me once most nights to go out. Try earlier feeding. Also is pup starting to toilet on command? I found that very useful, as you can take them out a couple of hours before bed time and get them to go and then again just before bed time - might empty pup out a bit more before the whole house wants some less interrupted sleep!!! Plus it's just useful to be able to get pup to go to the toilet when you want them to if you know they may not be able to go for a while.

Good luck! :shrug:

I feed puppies the last meal one hour before bedding them down. When her tummy settles after changing the food she should only need to poop straight after her dinner then again 9-10 hours after that last feed. Feeding earlier means she would need to go in the middle of the night so feed later not earlier.

I remember reading from a puppy care book that puppies should be fed 4hrs before sleep!

So my pup has his last meal at around 5.30-6.00pm

When I first brought him home with me, I was trying to change advance to science, so I started off mixing 1/8 science to 7/8 advance, then every 3-4days increase science by 1/8. Even with that, he had loose poop for a couple of days.

Now he's fine, but when I try to feed him new treats like pigs ears or roo jerky, I start off with couple of pieces first day, then slowly increase by a piece or two each day.

In terms of no.2 pottying in the middle of the night, mine work up 2-3times in the middle of the night to poop. Now he only poops once at night, around 3am.

I hope it helped! :cheers: and don't worry too much, because every pup is tiny bit different and I think your pup's just readjusting to his/her new home :)

I remember reading from a puppy care book that puppies should be fed 4hrs before sleep!

So my pup has his last meal at around 5.30-6.00pm

When I first brought him home with me, I was trying to change advance to science, so I started off mixing 1/8 science to 7/8 advance, then every 3-4days increase science by 1/8. Even with that, he had loose poop for a couple of days.

Now he's fine, but when I try to feed him new treats like pigs ears or roo jerky, I start off with couple of pieces first day, then slowly increase by a piece or two each day.

In terms of no.2 pottying in the middle of the night, mine work up 2-3times in the middle of the night to poop. Now he only poops once at night, around 3am.

I hope it helped! :( and don't worry too much, because every pup is tiny bit different and I think your pup's just readjusting to his/her new home :eek:

Just cause you read something in a book, doesn't make it right.

Feed him 3 hours later and he will poop at 6am instead of 3 am. :(

Advance wasn't good for my puppy intially. It gave her sloppy poos etc.

Was she solid on pedigree?

We were recommended to change our pup from advance to pedigree, and that helped firm up her poops.

You should change your puppy back to a premium brand when they are a little older. My girl was fine with advance at around 6 months of age.

If she was previously doing well on pedigree, maybe you should just leave her on it until she really settles down 3-4 months old???

Advance wasn't good for my puppy intially. It gave her sloppy poos etc.

Was she solid on pedigree?

We were recommended to change our pup from advance to pedigree, and that helped firm up her poops.

You should change your puppy back to a premium brand when they are a little older. My girl was fine with advance at around 6 months of age.

If she was previously doing well on pedigree, maybe you should just leave her on it until she really settles down 3-4 months old???

• 2 weeks later...

Nadine83 Our shepherd is 11 months old and goes for a poop at least twice a night if not more she weighs 26 kilo , and I have been wondering if this is normal as well the need to go so often.

She has her last feed at 5.00pm and I usually let her out before going to bed she is on purina puppy 1 1/4 cups 3 meals a day and homemade veg caserole,1/2 a cup with a bit of cooked steak in it twice a day.

our Labrador has a cup less a day and sometimes even he has to go during the night as well, they always do a wee as well when they go out.

I often wonder if it's because they bolt their food down, they are fed in seperate rooms.

lablove