Toy/poodle Mini Foxie

peto2710

Hi all,

Finally got my second dog, a toy poodle x mini foxie. Great little dog.

She is 5 months old today. Anyone out there know what sort of height she may grow to? and when she will be fully grown?

Thanks

Attached is a pic of my two kiddies.

post-30074-1302487706_thumb.jpg

Those two pups look like they are having a lovely time :laugh:

Hard to see more that a little black dog in that pis but I would say not much bigger than it is now. Did you just get her at 5 months?

I have a 2 smaller dogs and wondered how they would get on with another slightly bigger more energetic dog. Do your 2 get on OK?

Congradulations on your new puppy anyway. Two dogs is so much more natural for the dogs I think.

I have a lovely miniature fox terrier x toy poodle. She is very sweet natured and she weighs 4 kilos and is about the size of a Pomeranian. Sadly her sister is aggressive and very difficult and about twice the size. So being that your pup is a cross-breed, it's hard to predict how tall she'll grow. My dog Penny and her sister was rescued after being bred in a puppy mill and then sat in a Pets Paradise window for well over 6 months, marketed as foxidoodles. They are both highly strung, extremely anxious and timid. Thankfully my girl is sweet natured and just cowers when she's scared, whilst her sister is aggressive when feeling threatened. Whilst I'm sure most of their temperament issues relate to their 8 months spent caged and ignored, I do think that they kind of have the high energy of the fox terrier mixed with that slightly high strung nature of some poodles. They also shed excessively. Oh the joys of 'designer crosses'. In saying that, I wouldn't trade Penny for anything, I love her dearly! She's loving, smart and desperate to please. Shes the cuddliest dog I've ever had and is loyal and noone gives me a better welcome home than my Penny :eek:

It is not the puppies fault BUT the more that people are prepared to buy dogs from petshops or even direct from the puppy farms means that we have DEMAND = SUPPLY. Taking the emotion out and looking at the economics, you only create something if there's a market for it.

Whilst there is a market for animals in petshops/internet sales etc, their parents will continue to endure their rotten life as breeders.

I work in rescue and know some people who went undercover to get some dogs from somewhere where the byb was downsizing. They had become inconvenient now, not that the person was giving up byb'ing altogether but the ones chosen to go were being advetised as 'bred xxx litters, good for more". What sort of people would be interested in taking dogs from an ad like that? Generally, people who want to continue to breed them to make money. Those dogs don't live a life. The rescued ones all had bad teeth and ear infections.

When will the world listen? We do need to care where our puppies come from and how their parents live and what they are forced to endure.

What happens to the puppies that don't look quite right or the female dogs that are having trouble giving birth?? I doubt that you would want to know.

Edited by dogmad

Dogmas was your post aimed at me? Whilst Penny spent months in a pet store, when did I ever say I bought her from them? She's a rescue, I said that.

I completely agree with what you are saying, which is why I'm a bit taken aback that you're assuming Penny and her sister were purchased. I too rescue and foster dogs, kittens and cats, and at the time Penny came to me as a foster infact. But she soon became a foster failure when my chi x fell in love with her. We fostered her and she never left us.

Edited by carrie

carrie - if you read my first post, I was asking where the OP got their new puppy from.

Knowing that a dog is a poodle/foxie cross would indicate to me that this dog has either come from a pet shop (at this age) or a back yard breeder.

Your post did sound like you "rescued" them from Pets Paradise. I'm often told this by people, that they rescued their puppy from a petshop, i don't understand who or how you got your puppies - did a rescue group get them out the petshop?

As I say, it's not their fault, they didn't ask to be born.

It's how their parents live and what they are forced to endure.

Penny and her sister were taken into a vet clinic to be euthanaised actually, a vet nurse rescued them and put them into foster care with a group she was associated with. We fostered Pen, and she never left us!

Well, as long as everyone knows that buying a puppy from a petshop is not "rescuing" an animal, it's not the same thing. And that buying any animal from a petshop is DEMAND creating SUPPLY, ie the goods now have to be replaced. Petshops of course do start reducing the price as the puppy grows and if they were taken to a vet for euthanasia that is better than being dumped in the middle of nowhere or knocked on the head.

Carrie, which rescue group are you with? Or which group do you run - you mentioned you rescue dogs and cats?

I agree completely Dogmad, buying is NOT rescueing. It's making room for many more to be put in the window.

I used to foster for Best Friends Rescue but after the co-ordinator moved interstate, I didn't stay in touch with the new team (no reason really, I still think they do a FANTASTIC job). These days I work as a vet nurse and we have started an adoption program in clinic (rehomed over 100 cats and kittens over the last three years, a small number compared to some, but I'm still very happy about the ones we've re-homed). We very occasionally have dog surrenders that we rehome if possible :) I regularly foster kittens as they do far better at home being part of a family then caged at the clinic :)

To the OP - sorry if I took your thread off topic a little. What I intended by telling you about my little Penny was to explain that being a crossbreed, size, temperament and health are so variable it's hard to predict. My Penny is small, whilst her littermate is quite tall. I'd love to see more pictures of your little pup :)

Edited by carrie