Toy Poodle Tests

emery

I'm no expert but they MUST be tested for PRA. It is an insidious disease that leads to blindness (late onset, so young parents can look okay but aren't).

Also, steer clear of anyone who advertises "tiny. tiny toy poodles" and teacups.

Have you looked though the Dog Breeds 101 section? It should have more info.

If I was looking for a toy poodle, I'd PM Poodlefan and ask for a recommendation. Unfortunately, there seem to be a lot of dodgy toy poodle breeders out there - they are too popular for their own good.

This might help, there is detailed information to each of the below diseases if you follow the link given.

Genetically based disorders in the Toy and Miniature include:

(Click on the name for more detailed information) find those links here http://www.napoleon.org.uk/health/poodlehealth.htm

Progressive Retinal Atrophy a disorder of the eye in which the light cells in the retina wither and die due to insufficient blood supply. the disease progresses Gradually, results in blindness and has no known cure. Its onset in the Poodle is between 5 to 6 years old. The presence of PRA can be detected by ophthalmascopic examination by a veterinary ophthalmologist.

Here is the infromation on the DNA test http://www.optigen.com/opt9_test_pra_poodle.html

Corneal Dystrophy - Corneal dystrophies" are diseases of the cornea that are bilateral, non-inflammatory and inherited.

Legg-Calve'-Perthes - a disorder in which non-inflammatory a vascular necrosis of the femoral neck and head result in one of both of a young dog's rear legs becoming lame. Irritability and pain are other primary symptoms. Some dogs recover and function without treatment, but in severe case surgical removal of the femur head is indicated.

Patella Sub-luxation - or slipped kneecap, a condition in which the patella slides in and out of the groove where it is normally held in place by ligaments. This causes hopping or favoring of the leg until the kneecap slips back into place. In some cases, in can be surgically corrected.

Epilepsy - a neurological disorder marked by recurring seizures that follow episodic, abnormal discharges of electrical impulses by nerve cells in the brain. As in humans, it is controlled with drugs such as Phenobarbital or Dilantin.

Hypothyroidism - a condition resulting from an inadequate production of thyroid hormone. Also treated with drug therapy, its symptoms include a coarse, brittle coat that falls out, thickening and discoloration of the skin, lethargy, obesity, mental slowness and irregular heart cycles.

Cryptorchidism - or undescended testicle, a condition in which one or both testicles are retained in the abdominal cavity. Hormone injections, given to stimulate testicular descent, sometimes are successful. When the treatment is unsuccessful, removal of the testicles is recommended because cryptorchid testicles may become cancerous.

Mitral Valve Disease - The heart consists of 4 chambers - 2 atria and 2 ventricles. The atrioventricular (AV) valves ensure that the blood flows from the atria to the ventricles when the heart beats. A defect in the mitral valve (the left atrioventricular valve) causes backflow of blood into the left atrium, or mitral regurgitation. Less commonly, a narrowing or stenosis of the valve can be identified. Because of the leaky valve, the heart is less efficient at pumping blood to the body.

Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia (AIHA) - A decrease in the number of red blood cells (RBC's) or the amount of hemoglobin, resulting in a decrease in the oxygen- carrying capacity of the blood.

Edited by shortstep

Some of the health issues indicated can't be tested for (in terms of being inheritable) but you'd not want to breed from an affected dog.

I'd be asking JAG for recommendations. She knows way more about the world of Toy Poodle breeders than I do!

Something I'm guessing the owner of this Toy Poodle hasn't thought about - ad seen online today :confused:

"Poodle Toy Female Required. for mating by my handsome Tan & black Toy Poodle.He has had all his shots. Just eager to mate now.I do not want a pup from first litter.Just pay $100 for your Toy to be mated.My Toy Male Poodle Does Not have Papers,Just need Females to Serve. Ph For Apointment"

:laugh::) :)

Something I'm guessing the owner of this Toy Poodle hasn't thought about - ad seen online today :confused:

"Poodle Toy Female Required. for mating by my handsome Tan & black Toy Poodle.He has had all his shots. Just eager to mate now.I do not want a pup from first litter.Just pay $100 for your Toy to be mated.My Toy Male Poodle Does Not have Papers,Just need Females to Serve. Ph For Apointment"

:laugh::) :)

oh dear

and thanks hopefully jag will pop in or i will pm her :D

i have got her thinking as she got its a repetble (her spelling) breeder and i get papers

i was liek check they are registered with cawa and not ocuncil and papers are registration papers not vaccination or microchip papers

PRA test & regular, yearly, patella checks on the adult dogs. Ask to see these. Anyone can say yes they are done.

The other things are either rare/not common enough to require a test or not testable, like epilepsy.

Stay away from any that have staining from the corner of the eyes too. Cosmetic/maybe but a nuisance thing.

Can someone please tell me which test should be performed on the parents of toy poodles before being bred trying to help a friend ensure she is going to a registered breeder thanks :)

PRA testing is not compulsary but the majority of good breeders do test. having said that the trend is now to say the pup is normal/clear by parantage. Most people will accept this without even asking for proof :rofl: If I were to purchase a poodle puppy I would be asking for a copy of the parents certificates. If they are clear by parentage then I would want a copy of their parents (pups grandparents) - get my drift :D It is way too easy to say this now and get away with not testing :D

Christina is correct. Patella is another issue withint he toy breed. Not everyone tests for it either, although the puppy should have been to the vet prior to sale and had their patellas tested.

You would be unlucky to come across the other diseases but they do exist.

As for reputable registered breeders - well you don't have to be reputable to breed. You just need a bitch and a dog.. Registered does not automatically mean reputable either. The best thing to do is ring as many breeders as possible and sort through them. Ask many questions - even very silly ones and see what responses you get. Go with a breeder you feel comforatable with.

Hope that helps.