What Can We Do About These Barking Dogs?

Lhok

Every school holidays my mother and father have to put up with barking dogs. These dogs bark at everything and the owners do nothing about it, They also charge the fence and growl at anyone who is walking around the backyard. Today I noticed the dog having a go at my dog who lives with my parents at the moment and due to the old fence managed to nip my dog on the nose. My mum went to block off the gap in the fence and was also almost nipped. The barking is so bad that when we are talking in our own house the dogs can hear us and then they bark at us.

What are we to do? We can't complain to the local council as the dogs belong to the next door neighbour's daughter, it is driving us batty! My mother and father don't believe talking to the neighbours would achieve anything either.

Thanks

--Lhok

Even though it might not achieve anything you should at least talk to the neighbours because then if it does go higher you can say that you tried talking to them but they were unwilling to help or do anything about it.

Also take a neighbour or someone with you when you go talk to the neighbours as a witness - you dont want the neighbours to turn around and say that you never went and talked to them when you actually did.

Even though its daughters dogs - the council still should be able to do something because the dogs are currently at their house. it depends on how long the dogs are staying at the neighbours house for?

In the first instance, I would speak with the neighbours.

This is the fair thing to do, before making any sort of official complaint.

You can't assume that they will not listen and take action. You have to try this avenue first.

If no joy comes from that, then your only other alternative is to make an official complaint to Council.

I don't see why you think this can't be done, because they belong to the daughter. If the dog's barking is excessive, then who owns the dogs is not relevant.

Julie

The dogs don't normally live next door, they only come up during the school holidays while the daughter is here. I will let my parents know they will need to talk to the neighbor's first before they do anything else.

Thanks

--Lhok

I used extinction and reinforcement procedures with my neighbours Rottweiler. When he barked we would just stand there until he started to wear out a bit, then I would say good and immediately walk off. I continued in that vein each night until we shaped less and less barking.

Make sure the fence is sturdy, or that they really aren't coming over it before you try this :)

I used extinction and reinforcement procedures with my neighbours Rottweiler. When he barked we would just stand there until he started to wear out a bit, then I would say good and immediately walk off. I continued in that vein each night until we shaped less and less barking.

Make sure the fence is sturdy, or that they really aren't coming over it before you try this :)

The fence is really old, not something I would have the greatest of faith in, good enough to hold my dog in as she is only interested in eating bones, lying in the sun, pooping and peeing in the backyard. :rofl:

I do understand that these dogs might be uncomfortable in the environment, and I do understand that dog's will bark, but the behaviour that is being displayed has gotten worse which is why I thought I might ask the collective DOL brain trust as to what we can do about the situation.

--Lhok

My mother's dog is a barking mad looney- literally. He does visit for a few weeks at a time. We crate him when he gets overexcited, use good training- sit and wait etc it works well, and keeps the neighbours and our dogs happy. It doesn't matter if the dog lives permanently at the address, we would be horrified if our dogs or another dog we were caring for was a nuisance.

The dogs don't normally live next door, they only come up during the school holidays while the daughter is here. I will let my parents know they will need to talk to the neighbor's first before they do anything else.

Thanks

--Lhok

They don't HAVE to speak to the neighbours first (despite what someone said above). If they neighbours are disrespectful enough to let their dogs bark like that then why should your parents have to be "fair" to them? I'd be phoning the council and when they ask if the neighbours have been approached, tell them no because you don't feel comfortable doing it.