Deaf Dogs And Puppies

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are things to consider with deafness, such as the fact you can not recall the dog at any time. If the dog is baout to head into danger, you must be within eye shot or reach to prevent accidents.

I have also found that deaf dogs (and blind ones) respond really well with being with other dogs. They use the other dogs for cues and this can also help keep them safe and happy.

I agree with this. There are many deaf dogs living great lives - but it takes a lot of commitment from the owner. The thing I'd worry about most is recall (but it can be trained). Sure the dog can read hand signals, but they need to be looking at you to see them. If they're focusing on the new dog that has just come into the park, that can be hard!

I find it odd that some people say it shouldn't be taken into account when looking for a dog??

I meant in the sense that when you are looking for a dog and then someone says 'oh they're deaf' dont just go - oh ok don't want it then.

That's what I meant. Not necessarily that it shouldnt be considered but that it shouldn;t be the deciding factor (unless it wont fit into your lifestyle or unless you dont have the means to care for it properly).

And also the comment about a deaf dog "not fitting into your lifestyle". Also just a nonsense thing to say. You dont get a dog for lifestyle reasons in my humble opinion. YES, you did nail the comment about not getting a deaf dog if you dont have the means to look after it. They are a lot of work and there are a lot of issues that need to be considered

Well in MY 'humble' opinion, you should either get a dog that fits into your lifestyle OR you get a dog and change your lifestyle to fit the dog.

And on your previous post, i am speaking from what i have heard and previous experience with very OLD deaf dogs. I have stated that i am not a breeder or expert at all so you can refrain from calling my comments dumb please.

I am expressing my very un-profesional OPINION and it would be nice to come onto these posts and LEARN from other peoples comments. All i have learnt from your comments are that you are quick to call peoples comments dumb. So thank you for enlightening me.

There are things to consider with deafness, such as the fact you can not recall the dog at any time. If the dog is baout to head into danger, you must be within eye shot or reach to prevent accidents.

I have also found that deaf dogs (and blind ones) respond really well with being with other dogs. They use the other dogs for cues and this can also help keep them safe and happy.

I agree with this. There are many deaf dogs living great lives - but it takes a lot of commitment from the owner. The thing I'd worry about most is recall (but it can be trained). Sure the dog can read hand signals, but they need to be looking at you to see them. If they're focusing on the new dog that has just come into the park, that can be hard!

I find it odd that some people say it shouldn't be taken into account when looking for a dog??

I meant in the sense that when you are looking for a dog and then someone says 'oh they're deaf' dont just go - oh ok don't want it then.

That's what I meant. Not necessarily that it shouldnt be considered but that it shouldn;t be the deciding factor (unless it wont fit into your lifestyle or unless you dont have the means to care for it properly).

And also the comment about a deaf dog "not fitting into your lifestyle". Also just a nonsense thing to say. You dont get a dog for lifestyle reasons in my humble opinion. YES, you did nail the comment about not getting a deaf dog if you dont have the means to look after it. They are a lot of work and there are a lot of issues that need to be considered

Well in MY 'humble' opinion, you should either get a dog that fits into your lifestyle OR you get a dog and change your lifestyle to fit the dog.

And on your previous post, i am speaking from what i have heard and previous experience with very OLD deaf dogs. I have stated that i am not a breeder or expert at all so you can refrain from calling my comments dumb please.

I am expressing my very un-profesional OPINION and it would be nice to come onto these posts and LEARN from other peoples comments. All i have learnt from your comments are that you are quick to call peoples comments dumb. So thank you for enlightening me.

You're welcome :laugh: