Older Dog Now Peeing Inside

My dog is now 10 years old and sleeps inside at night..for years I've had no issues with him peeing - he's always held on til I've let him out..Over the past few months however, on most mornings he has had a pee..I let him out as late as possible to go to the toilet before I go to bed, but more often than not, it doesn't make any difference..Just wondering if there's anything else I can do??

OK, he's an older guy and now has trouble holding on all night. You've got to set him up so that if it happens it doesn't distress either him or you. You may have to change where he sleeps or what he sleeps on and wash his bedding etc. daily if necessary.

I agree with getting the thorough health check.

In addition to that, try getting up earlier to take him out and see if that helps. If nothing else, it will give you an idea of how long it is that he can hold for since the last toilet. And of course, make sure he toilets before bed (regardless of what time "bed" is).

Out of interest, how long is it from bed-time to when you let him out the next morning?

Edited by Erny

OK, he's an older guy and now has trouble holding on all night. You've got to set him up so that if it happens it doesn't distress either him or you. You may have to change where he sleeps or what he sleeps on and wash his bedding etc. daily if necessary.

Install a dog door or get up to him. Two of my older dogs can't make it through the night. :)

He just had his annual check up and the vet didn't notice any probs..but then, I didn't think to mention the peeing as I have just been putting it down to old age..

The time between bed and being let out varies depending on my shifts..can be up to 8 hours..I might start keeping a diary so I can observe how long he can hold on..

And I never even considered a dog door...Thanks for the input everyone!

Perhaps also make a note as to whether your dog is drinking more than usual (which in turn of course would increase urine output). Increased thirst beyond what would be normal for your dog in the current climate could be an indicator that things need to be checked.

What you are describing is similar to what I experienced with Emma. Initially she was diagnosed with incontinence (not unusual for an older dog, quite easy to manage). Subsequently, when her incontinence medication seemed to not be very effective, she was diagnosed as being a diabetic. IMO it never hurts to get a full blood screen done at that age just to rule out any big issues, I think the one I got Em cost about $180 but it told us what we needed to know. Aside from the issues she's been having recently she's been having one each year when she gets her vacc just to check up and make sure nothing else is lurking.