Desmopressin Eye Drops

I haven't prescribed it personally, but I have looked into it previously for a cat with suspected diabetes insipidus (central diabetes). I can't remember the exact price, but it was "not cheap". The intranasal solution of Minirin is still about $150 even from a discount human pharmacy. There is an oral form available but if you have a larger dog I'm not sure that they end up being a great deal cheaper (and the response is not always the same as using it as eye drops).

Is the dog clinically unwell? Have other things that cause excessive urination (and thus drinking) been ruled out?

You can PM me if you prefer.

Edit re: side effects.Adverse effects are uncommon, and usually related to irritation of the eye after administration. Hypersensitivity reactions can occurs but are quite uncommon. Humans sometimes report having headaches, which is possible but sometimes difficult to determine in veterinary patients. The main contraindication for using the drug is in patients that are predisposed to developing thromboemboli, which is not your average patient (usually those with heart disease or hyperadrenocorticism).

Edited by Rappie