Possible Foreign Object Blockage?

Lindainfa

Really really pleased that Arnie is doing better and hope he continues to do so.

We've been watching our Lab all week as last Sunday he managed to steal a square of polar fleece out of the laundry basket and swallowed it whole. I almost died but have been watching his poop and behaviour all week and he's been eating, drinking and playing just as normal ..until 5.18am this morning when he suddenly let it all out and there was the piece of polar fleece all still in one perfect square. I am so relieved it's finally shown itself and I can relax again now.

Now he is resting on my feet and I couldn't be happier. I am now wondering if it is possible that this virus comes from raw food? The cause is still unknown, although more seen in small breeds. Thanks for all your good vibes - they worked! :thumbsup:

Salmonella in raw food (or even improperly stored cooked food, for that matter) can cause bloody diarrhoea, although the blood work should have given a clue if this was what was affecting your dog. There are lots of other reasons for bloody diarrhoea too, though. And on the other hand lots of dogs have salmonella in their faeces from eating raw foods without showing clinical signs at all.

ETA, so far as I'm aware they're not yet sure precisely what causes HGE.

I'm glad he's doing so much better! ;)

Edited by Staranais

Thanks for the stories guys.

Aussielover - Yes he is up to date with vaccinations, he is 2 years old now. Your right, that is the test they were going to do next if he didn't improve, contrast radiograph.

Have just been reading about the HGE - wow, what a nasty type of gastro, it could very well be this. I will call the Vets at around 8 pm tonight to get an update.

Hi there, I work as a vet nurse and it's surprising the types of things dogs and cats swallow!

If he has to have surgery, he should be fine. In the 13 years I've been nursing, I've only seen one case go bad (the poor GSP got peritonitis), but that was because the owner didn't realise her dog was sick for days and days. :thumbsup:

The dye sounds like barium, it helps to see weird objects in the gut with an xray a little better. Hopefully the little fellow will poo it out, but otherwise if he has to have it operated on, it's pretty straight forward with lots of rest until stitches out.

Keep us all posted, and good luck!! ;)

Now he is resting on my feet and I couldn't be happier. I am now wondering if it is possible that this virus comes from raw food? The cause is still unknown, although more seen in small breeds. Thanks for all your good vibes - they worked! :cheer:

I've got a two time HGE veteran at home. HGE can be triggered by any number of causes including toxins, bacteria and viruses. On one occasion I'm pretty certain a pigs ear was the cause.

If it happens again (and it can) and you end up at the vets get them to check for depleted potassium levels - its an early indicator.

HGE is an illness that strikes predominately young dogs (average age between 2 and 4), can recoccur and its more common in some breeds.

The sooner you get a sufferer to the vets and on a drip, the better they recover. I would also recommend you invest in a bottle of decent quality raspberry cordial (minimum 25% juice) and give that by mouth if you suspect you've got it occuring. It helps settle things down if vomitting has started.

Edited by poodlefan

Thanks for the advice Poodlefan. The first thing the Vet said to me was he had low salt levels, and something else I cant remember - so would that be the low Potassium?

Day 2 of him being home and this morning no stools yet. He has eaten his chicken and drinking water, but doesnt want to play yet, still just wants to sleep on the couch.

It sounds like quite a few dogs get this, wish they could pinpoint exactly how they get this. Seems like I was lucky that his was only a mild case, or that I got him on the drip quickly and it didn't progress further.

Now he is resting on my feet and I couldn't be happier. I am now wondering if it is possible that this virus comes from raw food? The cause is still unknown, although more seen in small breeds. Thanks for all your good vibes - they worked! :cheer:

Hi Lindainfa - I'm not sure if you saw my FB post, but this is exactly what Asti had about 6 weeks ago and the vet suspected that it was a dodgy batch of BARF. We don't feed barf anymore as I don't want to go through that again... I'm glad he's on the mend.

Yeah I saw it Sam, I replied back. I think I have to start making my own Barf mix, but I'm vegetarian and looking and smelling the meat makes me feel sick! The Barf patties are just so convenient. hmmm.

Thanks for the advice Poodlefan. The first thing the Vet said to me was he had low salt levels, and something else I cant remember - so would that be the low Potassium?

Day 2 of him being home and this morning no stools yet. He has eaten his chicken and drinking water, but doesnt want to play yet, still just wants to sleep on the couch.

It sounds like quite a few dogs get this, wish they could pinpoint exactly how they get this. Seems like I was lucky that his was only a mild case, or that I got him on the drip quickly and it didn't progress further.

High PCV (packed cell volume) which equates to dehydration and low potassium are the two signs that Darcy has had both times. I got them to run a potassium check as soon as I fronted last time. He'd been vomitting less than an hour and went straight onto a drip.

He was home 24 hours later as opposed to nearly 4 days for the first time when his condition was further advanced. I think I'm at the stage now where I can recognise HGE vomitting as opposed to an ordinary vomit. Colour me hypervigilant. :cheer: