Possible Foreign Object Blockage?

Lindainfa

My darling boy Arnie is currently staying overnight at the vets, I just dropped him off an hour ago.

2 days ago I found like a sandpit toy shaped like a rabbit, made from hard plastic, in our yard. (Thrown over the fence from kids next door). It had chew marks and there was a piece missing. This has happened before, the kids threw some other toy similiar over the fence and I only knew last time because in his stools were all these pieces of purple, sparkly plastic. I was so worried, but it was all good. This time the plastic was green and sparkly.

So I couldn't find a bit of plastic that makes the rabbit and I have been keeping an eye on him and his stools. He did normal poos and wees, but started eating grass heaps and vomiting all grass covered in clear liquid. Stopped eating and today was very flat and sad. He did drink a little water today. Then he had to go out to go toilet so I followed him and thank god I did, because he squirted out brown liquid diorrhea but with bits of blood that seriously looked like flesh, and it smelt like blood, didnt smell like poo at all.

We immediatly took him to the vet and he is there now. They took his bloods straight away and said that was all good. He is on a drip and they have to take xrays to tell if there is a blockage or whatever. It could either be the plastic or the vet said it could also be gastro but then its a bit of a coincidece.

Has anyone been through this?

If your dog had a blockage, how was the surgery? Do they recover ok? Is it life threatning? I'm so worried, I cant stop crying.

Edited by Lindainfa

Oh Poor Arnie :D

Sending good vibes to him...

and :D to youlinda.

The location of the blockage can affect the prognosis and also how much tissue damage had occurred, but it can be life threatening. Did they do bloods only or also biochemistry? If both of these are normal it is a good sign.

Thanks Kirty!

Hey aussielover, not sure about biochemistry, the nurse just told us as we were leaving that they had just done the bloods and it was all good.

They will let me know before 7pm how the xrays went. Its a 24 hour Clinic so at least I know someone will always be around.

When we were leaving, he couldn't really stand properly. :-(

Hi ...

and it smelt like blood,
:D did they check for parvo? parvo has a bloody smell to it :D

My hamlet has had a foreign body . he ate leaves/sticks. They didn't show on Xray .. a lot of things don't - but the site of teh block was found using little barium beads... swallowed by the dog,which stop at point of blockage, THEN they show on Xray --- his op wasn't complicated . .but he was in hospital a few days, then home with a nice long row of stitches on total rest/ special food for some time .

I slept on the floor with him for a few nights, as he was not allowed to jump onto anything/into the car ..and he healed well - with no ongoing problems :rofl:.

If he did eat the kid's toy .. then perhaps you need to build him a roofed enclosure .so toys are not accessible ?

Hoping it's just a 'bug' which will go quickly!

take care..he will be well looked after , I'm sure.

When we were leaving, he couldn't really stand properly. :-(

Hamlet wasn't like that - he was tucked up and in some pain- but still strong. The vet checked for parvo before we got out of the car - and once that was clear, he was taken inside and put on a drip etc ....

Hi Lindainfa,

I've known a few dogs who have had successful surgery to remove foreign objects and are active and healthy again. If the blockage is fairly new, the vet will only have to open the intestine to remove it, but if it has been there a while the intestine can be damaged and some of it will have to be removed. This is a larger and more serious operation. If the object can't be located by x ray, your vet will probably need to do some exploratory surgery. I hope you'll find out what is happening soon. Waiting is the hardest thing. Keeping my fingers crossed for Arnie.

The Vet just rang me and said the results of the xray showed no blockages/ objects. However this was a piece of plastic and she said it may not show easily. She said his tests came back with low salts and low something else which is common with losing fluids (vomiting) and she suspects Hemorrhagic Gastro. They are keeping him on fluids and will see if any improvement tomorrow. If not they will do other tests, she mentioned something with a dye?

I'm not convinced yet that its just gastro. Thanks for your thoughts.

Cowan had a partial blockage that didn't show up on any x-rays, scans or with using the barium balls. His wasn't sudden though because it was only a partial it took 6 weeks before we went from my dog isn't well to throwing up constantly. It was a long 6mth recovery with a lot of issues along the way but he is sitting at my feet today

Mistral had an op for a blockage last year.

He ate a knee high sock :D

The night it started causing a problem he was vomiting and very flat, didn't want to eat. Then the next day he was screaming in pain and bowing, he was also trying to go to the toilet but off cause nothing came out. He went straight to the vet.

The surgery went really well and he was home the next day and has been 100% fine since.

Hope your little one is ok.

Unlikely to be parvo with normal bloods.

Parvo would usually cause an increase or decrease in leukocytes (white blood cells which fight infections) depending on what stage its at.

Is he vaccinated? He looks older (ie not a young puppy) and its rare to get parvo in an older fully vaccinated dog.

I guess the next step would be a contrast radiograph if they are still suspecting a foreign body.

Thanks for the stories guys.

Aussielover - Yes he is up to date with vaccinations, he is 2 years old now. Your right, that is the test they were going to do next if he didn't improve, contrast radiograph.

Have just been reading about the HGE - wow, what a nasty type of gastro, it could very well be this. I will call the Vets at around 8 pm tonight to get an update.

Hey everyone, my beautiful boy is back home today! Apparently he was bright this morning, so much so that he chewed through the IV drip, naughty boy. Then he ate some poached chicken and the Vets were convinced it was HGE and that he was on the mend enough to send home. If he vomits or has bloody stools again then to call them. He went out and I watched him do his business. It was still diorrhea but no blood. Then as we walking inside, I noticed a flash of green glitter in the grass - it was the missing plastic piece that I thought he ingested!! So the Vets were right and they were so quick to give him the correct diognosis. Here is the rundown on the receipt of what they did:

Consultation

Hospitilasation

IV Fluids, drip set up

Admission Blood Panel

Radiology - Initial 2 plates

Maxalon Amp

Potassium Chloride

Maxalon Amp

Now he is resting on my feet and I couldn't be happier. I am now wondering if it is possible that this virus comes from raw food? The cause is still unknown, although more seen in small breeds. Thanks for all your good vibes - they worked! :)

Guest Ams

Linda I am so glad to hear he is home and recovering. I'm no help on the food issue cause I feed all mine kibble with the occassional chicken frame.