Where Do Sleep My Dog Now.....

shyfig

Good luck with it!

My puppy slept in a crate in the laundry for 2 months then a crate in my room and then on the floor or her bed in my room and now finally on my bed!

She is a big bed hog and likes to lean against you (not so fun having 25kg of labrador lean against you and pushing you off the bed!) so I have attempted to transition her from the bed into her lovely new soft k9pro crate which she LOVES at all other times except bedtime. So far I have not been successful :laugh: Partly because she whinges and partly because deep down I do miss her snuggling with me :)

But if I was more serious I would put her in my laundary again so I wouldn't have to hear her whinge. she actually gets over it within 10 minutes or so but then i feel guilty and miss her so I let her out (and onto the bed) after she has been good for a few more minutes.

To be honest I think you will just have to stick him in the crate at night (after you've gotten him used to it at other times) and maybe move him somewhere you can't hear any fuss- and then move him back into your bedroom. Or if you can take it, ignore any fuss he makes while having him crated in your bedroom is that is where you would prefer him to be.

ETA: he sounds very cheeky lol. Does he do anything like obedience, agility or herding that might help wear him out and challenge him?

Aussielover he's an absolutely gorgeous dog and yes very, very cheeky. He's bright, can see him thinking way ahead and knows exactly what's going on.

He isn't a high energy dog ...loves his walks, chasing water from the hose and doesn't have any interest in ball chasing at all. He loves to be with us more than anything and hankers for cuddles!

I do basic obedience with him but we are too far away from any main centres to do agility, flyball etc. Herding is about 2 hrs away also. It's a real shame as I would love to do agility with him.

How come you keep the cats and dogs separate?

Oscar (Dog) & Cino (Cat) do everything together and have a bond that is amazingly close. The literally do everything together from eat together, wrestle, sleep and are constantly side by side. I appreciate not all cats and dogs have this kind of special dog but I'd like to think these two species could live in harmony together.

Oscar & Cino have their own room together (The study) and their beds are side by side which they sleep in every night.

That's just so lovely that your two have developed such an amazing bond. What sort of dog and how old are they both? You should post a photo :shrug:

I'm more than happy to post photos.

Oscar is a Cavalier and he is 3 at the beginning of July & Cino is a Devon Rex and he just turned 8 months.

post-28053-1304487954_thumb.jpg

post-28053-1304487962_thumb.jpg

I have dogs who aren't safe with cats so I do understand where you're coming from. If your dog has lots of time with you then putting him to sleep in a crate in the loungeroom shouldn't worry him too much, just make sure that you do lots of work on making the crate a safe and happy place to be. I'd do things like only giving him treats if he's in his crate, only giving him is most favourite toys in his crate, things like that.

If it's only that the cats are afraid of him, but that he's safe with the cats, then crating him in your bedroom and allowing the cats in could work well. However, if he's not cat safe then be aware that a motivated dog can get out of a crate, even a metal one and I wouldn't trust a crate to keep your cats safe if he's motivated to hurt them.