Just When I Thought I'd Seen It All....

megan_

As I was walking the dogs this morning in the dark (using a new route after the rat attack last week), we were rushed at by a growling dog. It was in the unfenced front yard of a house down the street.

We ran across the road and, as luck would have it, a car drove past at the right time and that scared the dog away.

After the dogs were safely home, I drove to the house to tell the owners that their dog was out - I assumed it was an accident.

I found a dog bed on the porch (which isn't enclosed at all). I spoke to the owners and they let their dog sleep outside in the unfenced front yard! I explained what happened and they seemed genuinely suprised that their dog ran after me. I gave them a long speil about how it was illegal to have your dog in an unfenced yard, no matter how friendly they are (this one wasn't - it repeatedly growled at us). I'm going to check tomorrow morning and if the dog is outside I'll report them. What this dog did was enough to get it declared dangerous in Victoria.

Just how stupid do you have to be to leave a dog sleeping in an unfenced front yard? The house was very nice, both parents are professionals etc - I just don't get it!

As I was walking the dogs this morning in the dark (using a new route after the rat attack last week), we were rushed at by a growling dog. It was in the unfenced front yard of a house down the street.

We ran across the road and, as luck would have it, a car drove past at the right time and that scared the dog away.

After the dogs were safely home, I drove to the house to tell the owners that their dog was out - I assumed it was an accident.

I found a dog bed on the porch (which isn't enclosed at all). I spoke to the owners and they let their dog sleep outside in the unfenced front yard! I explained what happened and they seemed genuinely suprised that their dog ran after me. I gave them a long speil about how it was illegal to have your dog in an unfenced yard, no matter how friendly they are (this one wasn't - it repeatedly growled at us). I'm going to check tomorrow morning and if the dog is outside I'll report them. What this dog did was enough to get it declared dangerous in Victoria.

Just how stupid do you have to be to leave a dog sleeping in an unfenced front yard? The house was very nice, both parents are professionals etc - I just don't get it!

They obviously don't and they are not the only one's.

Many owners assume their dogs don't wander , chase people, cars other dogs etc. They see them laying around out the front or in the yard and think that's how the dog spends its time

In my area it isnt just the junkies who have their dogs offlead, its lawyers, architects and accountants. :doh:

A couple of weeks ago I saw a young staffy X wandering alone down our street- lost. I locked my dog in the yard and collected it. I called the number on the collar and the owner was visiting the art gallery at the top of our street. He came and got his dog- of course too cool for a lead.:rolleyes:

A week later, my OH tells me that he saw the same dog wandering about again and later the owner looking for it. :rolleyes:

Then a couple of days later, it was in the fenced park in our street with the owner and he had to call it away from growling at our dog!! So not only is it always offlead, but its DA! :eek:

Most recently I have sighted it sitting outside the gallery- OFFLEAD. *sigh*

Might have to give the ranger a call ;).

A couple of years ago I nearly gave up walking my dogs (2 RR's) because of dogs running out of backyards/frontyards at us..... It is never a pleasant experience, and it makes me so annoyed that people can care so little about their own dogs or about what their dogs might do to others!! :mad :mad